Author Topic: Advice on selling Ford wrenches and Perfect Handle type drivers  (Read 1048 times)

Offline amecks

There's a swap meet coming up in one month - Rust & Relics at the Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport NY May 3rd and 4th.  Rust & Relics is "everything engine, gas, and oil related".
I have a whole carload of tools for sale to sell but I'm having difficulty with pricing these items.  Prices on eBay are all over the place and there are so many for sale.  I want to price them to sell but not give away.  The funds from this sale will go to my motorcycle "Project 39-1/2".
The screwdrivers are various makers - there's an Irwin "GOV.  STOCK # 41-S-1076", a Lenox 5, a Made In Germany - the rest have no legible markings.
The Ford wrenches are all Ford script marked - there's one Fordson.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Al

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Northwoods

Re: Advice on selling Ford wrenches and Perfect Handle type drivers
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 09:32:03 PM »
How about $3 each for the Ford wrenches with the exception of the plow wrench:  $12.

Depends on whether you want to sell them-----or just display them.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Hm Wrench

• Vintage tool kit Source for Motorcycle tool kit ID
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 10:02:48 PM »
I think the prices are about right, but i would do it differently. You look like you have 4 of the seven for a Ford tractor Kit.
I would group them and add five bucks.
https://fordtractorcollectors.com/tool-kit/

you also have two that are for a Model T the band wrench and spark plug wrench.  I would make it an even $10. on the two.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/249390.html

Always Looking for Motorcycle, Bicycle tools and related information.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:52:46 PM »
Al,
The Irwin with the Federal Stock Number has gone down in value somewhat since it is now generally accepted that they were Korean era rather than WW2. Their value now is linked to their condition as are all of the perfect handle drivers.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline JohnD

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 12:07:22 PM »
Some thoughts on eBay prices--
1. Asking prices mean NOTHING! The only prices that have any meaning are "sold listings". Depending on App / browser you have to click a little differently to get there but you can always find sold listings.
2.  Then another another click to organize / sort by "lowest price first, including shipping"
3. Even then, many prices don't mean anything due to ebay tricks like showing you items that sold with "best offer" but only showing what the original asking price was, NOT what the accepted offer was.
4.  If there are many sold items it might also be worthwhile to sort by "highest price first". If there are rarities to be found within the group you might identify a sleeper.
5. Interesting also to do the search for "completed items" (not sold) by lowest price first. Sometimes you find everybody trying to sell an item, some very reasonable, and NOBODY is buying. If I'm researching something to sell and find that situation-- I give up and it goes in the load of stuff headed to the consignment auction. Where hopefully the folks watching pawn star / pickers / storage war shows may get into a bidding war thinking they are going to $$$ in big!
6. Sometimes you see a few "sold listings" for common items at insanely unbelievable high prices. It's possible there are a few buyers with too much money who just decide they want something and place an extremely high bid knowing that nobody else in their right mind will bid anything close. That maybe worked a few times in the early days, (there was a name I've forgotten for that tactic) until you get 2 bidders trying the same thing! OR- sometimes Store Sellers go on vacation and simply edit their listings by adding a couple zeros to price to get exposure but prevent them from selling while they are gone. I wouldn't put it past ebay to "fake" some of these to appear as "sold" to sucker people in. Anything they can do to squeeze more profit is fair game in their book. OR-- Maybe sellers have their cronies "buy" something for big money, then "return" it, and get fees credited. It still shows as "sold". Then they sell it again for less to someone who thinks they are getting a deal.

Offline leg17

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 12:25:32 PM »
Some thoughts on eBay prices--.....
OR-- Maybe sellers have their cronies "buy" something for big money, then "return" it, and get fees credited.
It still shows as "sold".   Then they sell it again for less to someone who thinks they are getting a deal.

D'ya think?

Offline amecks

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 08:14:23 PM »
Yep, I've noticed ther are some stupid high price purchases on eBay and they are suspicious - or as you stated, John, maybe somebody just had to have that one item.  I don't think many buyers research their purchases like we do.
Thanks for the help.  Gotta sort out these items into boxes for display/sale and then go out to the garage for more items this weekend.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY