Author Topic: WARDS MAASTER AND LAKESIDE PLANES  (Read 14016 times)

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
WARDS MAASTER AND LAKESIDE PLANES
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:15:56 PM »
I may have been laboring under the misconception that most all Wards/Powr-Kraft/Lakeside/Master Quality stuff was desirable to at least a small niche of collectors.  I listed a couple of planes in very restore-able shape on ebay and hardly got any visits, let alone any bids.  Whazzup with that.?.  I also have an old small Powr-Kraft table saw that I need to find a good home for, but it would need to be a local pickup as it's small but quite heavy.  I do have the motor and bracket for the saw, it's just not in the photo.  I believe it to be the original.  P mail if you are curious.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:27:09 PM by dimwittedmoose51 »
Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline Jim C.

Re: WARDS MAASTER AND LAKESIDE PLANES
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:57:05 PM »
I'm a pretty serious plane collector and user.  I admit that approximately 95% of my collection consists of old Stanley and a few select old Sargent models (I really like the autoset series).  I don't have a single Montgomery Ward Master or Lakeside plane.  Not one.  The funny thing is that most Montgomery Ward planes were actually manufactured by Stanley and Sargent.  I don't have any doubt that if properly tuned, and with a sharp iron, a Master or Lakeside plane would do a better than adequate job.  I think that can be said of many old non Stanley, and/or non Sargent, planes.  However, for whatever reason, the Ward's planes just haven't been a big hit with collectors, or users, for that matter.  I honestly believe that Stanley will always be king.  I guess I'm guilty of supporting that attitude, simply based on my collecting habits.  I don't think I'm alone. 

Jim C.             
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:37:34 AM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:33:38 AM »
Hey, thanks for the input!!

DM&FS

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:11:03 AM »
My Stanley 45s are one Wards Master, and one Sears Craftsman.  Stanley made, and all parts interchange.  Good tools.  I set them both up once to cut tongue and groove work, one for tongue, one for groove.

I have a Lakeside smoother and a Wards jack (as well as a Baker smoother and an Ohio smoother as well as three Stanley #4 and one #3).  My wife saw me buy the third #4 at a flea market, and later pointed out the Lakeside and the Wards.  I had to get them because she found them for me (know what I mean?) and they were my kind of price.  One day I needed a plane *right now*, and picked up the Lakeside, honed the blade a bit -- worked fine.

Some aren't as strongly built as the Stanleys, but are serviceable.  Others are just about as good, but just don't have the fame.

Offline BruceS

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:42:09 AM »
My Stanley 45s are one Wards Master, and one Sears Craftsman.  Stanley made, and all parts interchange.  Good tools.  I set them both up once to cut tongue and groove work, one for tongue, one for groove.

I have a Lakeside smoother and a Wards jack (as well as a Baker smoother and an Ohio smoother as well as three Stanley #4 and one #3).  My wife saw me buy the third #4 at a flea market, and later pointed out the Lakeside and the Wards.  I had to get them because she found them for me (know what I mean?) and they were my kind of price.  One day I needed a plane *right now*, and picked up the Lakeside, honed the blade a bit -- worked fine.

Some aren't as strongly built as the Stanleys, but are serviceable.  Others are just about as good, but just don't have the fame.

Is this Lakeside any relation to my  Lakeside backsaw? I'm guessing YES.    The etching on the saw has two diamonds on it.   One with a light house and sail boat  and the other diamond   has  an M over a W.   Never connected the MW to Monkey/Ward before, cool !

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
Lakeside was one of the brands of Montgomery Wards. Monkey Wards never made anything (like Sears). So somebody else made their tools, with their name on.
  The reason they aren't hotly collected, and put to use more is,
 the national hardware chains demanded lowest unit price, because their orders were so large.
  There was nothing Millers Falls (or whoever) could do to meet the price, but cut corners. 
 Occasionally you see spectacular quality under a hardware store brand, but not often.

Personally I look for and try to get the truly great tools with hardware markings.
  They aren't collectible, but they're great tools, and you get them nearly for free.

One of the best is Hibbard Spencer and Bartlett (HS&B).  The tools they had marked OVB (our very best) are often fine quality tools, and very cheap to buy.
    yours Scott

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »
Thanks everyone, at least now I am enlightened on the subject.

DM&FS