Author Topic: another winter project  (Read 3891 times)

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
another winter project
« on: November 17, 2011, 06:37:01 AM »
picked this brace up at the auction last night   (11/16/11) needs some TLC but the brass is good and the wood needs some caressing . the marking is partially worn off can make out
  _ _ _  RHAMS  SHEFFIELD  any help with id would be appreciated  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

walker

Re: another winter project
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:28:41 AM »
nice find bob,looks like it needs a drop of linseed oil,is the
head sound?
brian

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:09:19 AM »
nice find bob,looks like it needs a drop of linseed oil,is the
head sound?
brian
Y it seems to lock and unlock and I don't want to use oil before I find out what i am going to do with the wood. The wood is dry now and like you say a little lindseed oil then find out whats next . What would you suggest to do with the brass ?Would you dismantle the brace and hope to find the screws or would you just refinish whole?  bob w,

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »
I just found  another brass plate with r rollinn on it might it be the owners mark.

walker

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:15:31 AM »
its a matter of choice how you clean it,i would clean brass as is ,if the screws
are ok,you might mutilate the screws getting them out otherwise.
then work on the wood.they come up real nice with a bit of work.
cant identify maker from the letters you gave.
brian

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »
picked this brace up at the auction last night   (11/16/11) needs some TLC but the brass is good and the wood needs some caressing . the marking is partially worn off can make out
  _ _ _  RHAMS  SHEFFIELD  any help with id would be appreciated  bob w.

This is the better grade of wooden brace of the 19th Century, having the brass plates to reinforce the more breakable areas of the stock.  I'd hate to call it common, so let's say that this pattern of brace or bit-stock was the standard for the first half of the 19th Century, and made long after.  I did find several known makers, but none that matched "...rhams."   It will use center bits, augur bits, quill and spoon bits, and even gimlet bits were made for these.  Because of the push button release, it was the primary choice of professional wood workers -- quick to change bits, no messing around with screws and such.

These are great tools.  Mine is the cheaper model with no reinforcement plates, and I've been using it for 30 years or so.   Mine has no maker identification whatsoever, and it seems that many examples didn't.

The most likely solution for the name would be Abrhams.  It hasn't shown up in any search I could come up with.  It seems we need to find a listing of 19th Century Sheffield tool makers.  There's such a list, though I don't have it -- Roberts Check List of 19th Century Sheffield Joiner Tool Makers.

I'd use a 50/50 solution of turpentine and linseed.  Brush it on, and as soon as the wood has absorbed that, add another coat, and repeat until it won't take any more.  Don't put one coat on and let it sit over night!  The turps thin the oil and help it penetrate deep into the wood, which is what you want.  Once the wood has had its fill of the solution, then let it sit while the linseed oxidizes.

You got a good one!

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:50:37 AM »
Y it seems to lock and unlock and I don't want to use oil before I find out what i am going to do with the wood. The wood is dry now and like you say a little lindseed oil then find out whats next . What would you suggest to do with the brass ?Would you dismantle the brace and hope to find the screws or would you just refinish whole?  bob w,

It's gonna take a lot of linseed, most likely.  Turpentine will keep the linseed from staying shallow or on the surface.

Leave the brass on.  Too much chance of breaking the screws.  Since this brace style dates from the early 1800's, the screws might not even match each other.  And they might be really tight in the wood.  There's really no advantage to removing any of the brass.  Do the wood, and then work on the brass if you want it shiny.  (It's awfully pretty with bright brass)

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 09:54:37 AM »
I would repair it before thinking about refinishing
 If you carefully clean the screw slots with a dental scraper, and get or make a driver that fits the screw slots --exactly--, the screws will come out with little to no damage. 
 Looks like you need to take off the lower plates to make the repair.
 Clean the loose parts and glue them up. You will have to devise a clamping scheme.
 You'll also have to scrape together a small sliver of old beechwood too. A broken plane is your likely source. There are plenty of damaged molding planes around.   
  yours Scott