Author Topic: 1930 Plymouth toolkit  (Read 7103 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
1930 Plymouth toolkit
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:25:14 PM »
 Picked this up recently, I have never seen one ( meaning the bag ) and prob. will never see another. I only know its correct from literature that I have collected describing it. Not a complete set I know but still gave me some great clues that I have been looking for on the wrenches themselves. One thing of major interest to me ( but I have noted this already a few times in the past on other items ) is the hub cap wrench being of a thinner stamping than early style ( 28/29 ) Chrysler really was looking for ways to save a dime.
Seller sent me the bag for free, ( I dont know why people wish to seperate things anyway, all these years these tools have stuck with the bag and this lady is ready to just toss the bag  ) she mentioned it to me in passing as being a bag in poor shape with many holes, I asked her for it and she threw it in with the set. If she only knew. :)
Its got a couple small holes, cant even get my thumb in either one of them though. I have a 31 bag that has holes, this one has minor scrapes compared to it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:30:01 PM by 1930 »
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

Re: 1930 Plymouth toolkit
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »
>>Chrysler really was looking for ways to save a dime.

It's not just the metal you know, the thicker the sheet, the faster the stamping dies wear out. The Hubcap wrench has bent edges, so ity requires a compound die, one to cut the hole, a foller to bend the edges over. Those dies would be several times more expensive to make than simple cookie cutter dies.

The bad is kinda blah, no fancy logos or big type, the lasy probably had no idea it was the original bag. I have been given 'the tomato box' the wrenches were in by folks who had no clue it was the original box for a tool set...

(I have also gotten wrench sets that turned out to be living in tomato boxes - P )

Nice to find wrenches with paint inside the jaw flats...never seen a bolt in it's life...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »
Quote.......It's not just the metal you know, the thicker the sheet, the faster the stamping dies wear out.........I had not thought of that but that is a nice idea that I will not forget, thanks for that.
None of the bags 29-32 ( Chrysler products ) that I know of had any sort of logo, just the ( what I am assuming at this point ) bag suppliers logo on the hardware. Plymouth being bottom of the line product used the simplest of bags with drawstring.
She did assume it was the original bag but she just did not feel it had any value. For what I ended up paying for the tools at auction she prob. also felt she had been rewarded enough.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline strelnik

• Everyone is ignorant and smart in his own way
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:56:28 AM »
>>Chrysler really was looking for ways to save a dime.

It's not just the metal you know, the thicker the sheet, the faster the stamping dies wear out. The Hubcap wrench has bent edges, so ity requires a compound die, one to cut the hole, a foller to bend the edges over. Those dies would be several times more expensive to make than simple cookie cutter dies.

The bad is kinda blah, no fancy logos or big type, the lasy probably had no idea it was the original bag. I have been given 'the tomato box' the wrenches were in by folks who had no clue it was the original box for a tool set...

(I have also gotten wrench sets that turned out to be living in tomato boxes - P )

Nice to find wrenches with paint inside the jaw flats...never seen a bolt in it's life...

I am interested as to how you discovered this is a 1930 set, how did you date it?
I have been looking for info, because I have been collecting Maxwell wrench sets for Chysler products, since many were used for the first few years when Maxwell and Chrysler were both operated by Walter P Chrysler (I am told).

Looking for old metric wrenches and all Citroen hand tools, especially those made by Wilmonda, Wanoa and FACOM

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 06:09:34 PM »
There are no definitive answers when it came to Maxwell 21-35 Chrysler product vehilcles since zero literature exists that shows photographs that I am aware of. All I have been able to do is collect items, ask alot of questions, collect that answers and try my best to categorize the appropriate answers/questions so that I can cross referance the information at a later time.
Also collecting the parts books, owners manuals and cross referancing part # is important. Not important but the key, the model specific parts books and the #s they posses are the closest we will prob. ever get to photographs.
I have collected my fair share of tool kit items, enough to see a pattern of decline in the quality of the tools or quantity it would seem as well. That along with digging into the early history of Chrysler Corp enables me to see a clear or obvious direction that tool kits were heading.
By the way yes it is true that Maxwell and Chryslers were sold side by side on the showroom floor but it did not last long before Maxwell was phased out, ( I would have to look it up to get an exact figure ) and I dont believe that many Chryslers were sold with Maxwell kits.
I do know of one early Chrysler ( 1925 ) that has an original toolkit and is Maxwell tools.
My point is that in my opinion dont spend too much time collecting Maxwell tools in hopes of selling them as Chrysler appropriate toolkits, first of all in most cases in my opinion they are not correct, secondly you wont be able to prove they are correct and lastly and the saddest part is no -one cares.
I can count on one hand the # of people I have talked with that care what tools originally came with their cars.
I gave up a long time ago with the idea that I would someday retire on the tool kitsI put together and would sell, I have learned to do it just for the fun and the hope of discovery, nothing more.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:12:20 PM by 1930 »

Chris

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 06:02:52 AM »
Hello, I know this post hasn't been used in a long time, but I wanted to ask "1930" if you have any photos of the tools and bag you purchased.  I have a 1930 Plymouth I've I've been slowly building a tool kit myself, but I'd like to see what you have for reference to make sure I'm on the right track.  I'm still missing all the wrenches, the lug wrench, brake bleeder equipment and tire pump.  If you can assist with any photos, my email address is lutzc01@comcast.net.  Thanks.

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »
while you are at it, I just got a pile of tools and some of these look familiar.

can you post measurements of the hub tool?

I'll get some pics.

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »
Hello, I know this post hasn't been used in a long time, but I wanted to ask "1930" if you have any photos of the tools and bag you purchased.  I have a 1930 Plymouth I've I've been slowly building a tool kit myself, but I'd like to see what you have for reference to make sure I'm on the right track.  I'm still missing all the wrenches, the lug wrench, brake bleeder equipment and tire pump.  If you can assist with any photos, my email address is lutzc01@comcast.net.  Thanks.
Check out this post  http://forums.aaca.org/f143/tools-276649.html     respond there for more info and I will help. My time is very limited at this point and I try and make the best use of it I can and adding to a post that I am already working on will only benefit everyone.