Author Topic: farm wrenches?  (Read 5147 times)

Offline blackoak

farm wrenches?
« on: October 14, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »
Here are some old wrenches I had came to own over the years. I assume these are farm type wrenches any info on them?

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Re: farm wrenches?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 12:06:44 PM »
The top wrench is for fire sprinkler heads.  Central Automatic Sprinkler. 

Central was an innovative fire sprinkler manufacturer.  They got into trouble in the  90's that lasted until they were bought out by Tyco earlier this century. I think Tyco was still having to pay to replace recalled heads after the buyout.  It was considered extraordinary when a date was set that limited the recall any further.

The recall problem had to do with dissimilar metals causing corrosion at the sealing seat  that holds back the water.  Heads must open with no more than 7 psi water pressure when the fusible element gets to the rated temperature. (Generally 155º 165º)   If corroded it would take more,  say 10 psi.

Chilly

Offline strik9

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 04:03:38 PM »
The planet jr is from a small garden cultivator or seeder.  Made from the 1890's to 1930's they were very widely used.
   Yours is the later version.  The early were cut out letters.

One of mine was found in a field far from civilization in Mexico.   Probably fell from the guy's pocket while working.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline cody6268

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »
What's the second one? I know I have one as well, in about as bad of shape.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »
The 1059B wrench is IHC and was used on planters, mowers, manure spreaders,cultivators and some other implements. It is very common and has a low value. The A404 is a Hayes wrench and is also of little value.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »
To cody6265 the second one is the planet junior that strik9's post talks about

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »
The bottom one looks like the K48 Planet Junior. This was the smallest one they made and are much less common than the next larger size.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 09:47:46 PM »
Good eyes mike, I missed that but I think your right.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
I must be seeing a different picture? I don't see a single planet Jr wrench in the bunch. The bottom one is similar but looks to have a different part number on it. That style was used by several companies in the US and abroad. The second one from the top is either a Brown-Manly 1AA or a Bateman 4T, depends on the marking, if readable on it.