Machinist Forum > Machinist

Getting into shape, with my new 10" Shaper!

(1/2) > >>

Twilight Fenrir:
This weekend, I rescued an old shaper from the scrappers. I knew almost nothing about them when I picked it up, but I knew it could cut keyways and gears, and that was enough for me!

Now I know they are basically tiny, slow mills, and I am just thrilled with my purchase.

It's a Dvorak 10" shaper, which, I can't seem to find anything about... The only other internet result was someone else posting on practical machinist looking for information on theirs... VWWM doesn't even list the company, let alone have information on the shaper.

Despite the rust, everything moves pretty easily by hand, and nothing is readily broken, except the up/down feed on the tool post was brazed back together... Which should hold long enough for me to make a new one on it :D

It's missing its motor, tool post, and vise. I have a shelf in my shop dedicated to salvaged motors, I'm thinking a 1HP 3 phase, but need to check fit yet. Between it, my lathe, and my drill press, I can probably make a vise for it. Though I will need to buy a tool post, as until I have the shaper up and running, I won't be able to cut the keyway in a lantern to put the tools in...

I'm planning on stripping it completely apart, cleaning it, painting it, and putting it back together. Though, it will be a little while before I can start...

oldgoaly:
Mine's a 7" Atlas, sits 99.9% of the time but can be the handiest tool in the shop

Twilight Fenrir:
I currently lack a mill, and space to put one... The only tools I have to make things flat are my angle grinders. I don't have a 4 jaw independent chuck for my lathe yet, (and I might need to replace my lathe... I haven't gotten to look at it and see if I can adjust/fix it yet) so I can't make square things on it at this point.

This will do most of the opperations I've been wanting a mill for, albeit slowly, but also much more cheaply. Regrinding a toolpost tool is much cheaper than an end mill :3 It was worth getting for me just to cut keyways. That I can cut dovetails, and plane surfaces with it, will revolutionize my shop.... Slowly... lol

Also, how did you get your picture posted into a smaller thumbnail? The first time I put up pictures they filled several times my screen... lol

jdjax:
Good save, I hope you get get years of enjoyment from it.

oldgoaly:
I have to resize the pic for less than 250kpixels 640 by 480, they are 3meg from the phone/camera

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version