Author Topic: It's a Stanley, but it's not.  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Northwoods

It's a Stanley, but it's not.
« on: August 24, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
Spotted a Stanley No. 77 mortise marking gauge like the one in this eBay ad.  In fact, it is too much like this one.  This seller claims that the Stanley marking is "worn off", but that seems most unlikely.
Mine, too has no sign of a mark, but it is Stanley quality and is obviously the real deal. Is it possible that Stanley sold some with no mark through another retailer?
Any thoughts? 
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: It's a Stanley, but it's not.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
 I'm not seeing a link to the e bay add your talking about.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »
I own two of that pattern, neither marked "Stanley."  One has the October 22, 1872 patent date on it - the Justus Traut patent on the split beam - and fractional increments marked on the beam.  The other has neither of those, but is otherwise identical in appearance; both are rosewood.

I've never thought much about it; just been grateful to own them.  The pins are pretty well worn out on the one, so it's on the sick list until I figure out how to redrill holes.
------
Later edit: although it is kind of odd, since Stanley was proud enough even of the low-end No. 61 to put their name on it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:13:18 PM by Bill Houghton »

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 09:05:08 AM »
Thanks. I had a brain fart, shortly after my post on this topic yesterday it dawned on on me to enter Stanley No 77 mortise guage in the e bay search bar and sure enough there it was.