Author Topic: A hand held vise or clamp of some sort  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Mcgyver

A hand held vise or clamp of some sort
« on: July 20, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »
It seems like a small shield for griping something and protecting the hand, but the spring is quite stiff.  after compressing it, there isn't a lot of umph left over to hold the part with any great strength for very long.  The pivot joint is not super precise nor is the jaw surface alignment.  The adjustment moves the shield back and forth, there is no mechanism to lock the jaw shut. 

Moving the jaws in and out of the shield does change maximum gap of the jaws, but by small amount so if its clamp its range is narrow

There are small serration on the face of the jaws.  The parts are very well formed and would challenging to make as one of for a specific task so i'm inclined to think its a commercial item

Anyone recognize it or familiar with its use/purpose?

thanks

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:09:00 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: A hand held vise or clamp of some sort
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 02:28:32 PM »
Certainly odd. A clamp or hand vise would be first guess, but if there is little clamping pressure, I guess not.

With our wide range of expertise here on Tool Talk, I am sure an answer will pop up soon.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline toolman

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 03:17:03 PM »
Very interesting design, and great description by you, except for the dimensions of it. I would say it is 2x4 inches overall, judging by the 1/4" pivot bolt. This appears to be a special purpose clamping fixture, for a specific production process, (imo). Any marks on it at all? it appears to be a production made tool, as opposed to blacksmith, and or home made, and i would bet there are more of the same out there. I will take a look for it's brother when i can. PS:, this is the kind of thing i always take home with me, when i'm on my old tools hunt.  :grin:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:18:58 PM by toolman »

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 06:38:12 PM »
It's always for leather work when it's weird and doesn't make sense
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline bill300d

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 06:58:44 PM »
Just thinking out loud here but how about a clamp that would go inside a cylinder to hold something to the outside. What that something would be I don;t know. I can't help but ponder the reason for the radius of what I'll call the foot . it must be instrumental to the function of the whole.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Mcgyver

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:02:31 PM »
except for the dimensions of it.

right you are.  The "shield is 4" x 4", jaw length is 4 1/4".  The jaws are just under 1/2", .47" or so.   There are not markings that I can see

Offline pritch

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 11:14:20 PM »
Maybe it grabs a fishhook out of a toothy fish, like a muskie or something.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »
Whatever, it would be awkward darned thing in use, requiring two hands in close proximity to close and clamp it.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 01:50:38 AM »
I got to agree with lostmind on this one... when in doubt, go for leather! I got so sick of those tricky beasts that I finally broke down and bought the Dictionary of Leather Working Tools by Salaman….. it's got every weirdo tool in it :)
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"