Author Topic: DUM-BEL Wrench  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Danks

DUM-BEL Wrench
« on: March 26, 2018, 05:18:58 PM »
Looking for any information on manufacturer, Patent Date on this wrench that I obtained at a swap meet on Sunday.
Have seen smaller examples of this style, but this is the first one of this size.

Offline strik9

Re: DUM-BEL Wrench
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »

I have a bunch of those with different names and metals used in making them.  Brass to the worst pot metal ever.   Post a pic of any lettering on it when you can an I will get back to this thread after work.   I have never found a big one myself.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 10:33:16 PM »
I recently picked up a Craftsman one that has rotating heads and is made of steel. SAE model that might work for a bicycle, but probably worthless for any other use. Showed it to the dog and he tried to pee on it.

EvilDr235

Offline Danks

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 12:00:54 AM »
The only markings on the wrench are  DUM-BEL, PATENT as shown on the photograph:-

Offline amecks

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 07:18:17 AM »
I have some of the bicycle wrench ones but I'd rather carry a 6" adjustable - takes up less space in a tool kit. 
I can't find it now but last night I saw a sold listing on eBay.UK which listed a "Dum-Bel" wrench (spelled as in quotes) and they used "Ford" also in the title.  It was an old listing from last June and no longer had a photo. And I forgot to pay attention as to selling price. 
If someone can find that listing perhaps the seller can provide more details.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 07:41:38 PM »
Pot metal tools are worthless. Maybe could be used on grandma's treadle Singer sewing machine.\

?

Offline strik9

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
That comes closer to the Walsco US made ones I have.   

Others are Eldi, Oxwall and Bronznor but are different styles.   The potmetal are quite worthless but the brass are nearly usable.   The chromed one is British and mostly usable. 
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 11:17:29 PM »
The only U.S.  "dog bone" wrench patent I'm aware of is a design patent from 1919 (  http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=53597&typeCode=2 ) .  I've never seen one  this large -- I'm not counting the rotating socket head "dog bone" wrenches that some of the others have mentioned.