Author Topic: Logging hammers  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Donny B.

Logging hammers
« on: May 12, 2011, 09:47:12 PM »
I moved these from one box to another so I took a couple of pictures during the move.

There were some nice hammer collections shown in the old forum but I don't recall seeing any of these timber cutters' branding hammers. They were used for marking stumps, logs and some hewn timber for the payment of royalties.

The one on the back of the hatchet is a home made one. It is a bit rough but I guess it served the purpose for the user 

lzenglish

Re: Logging hammers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »
Very Nice Collection of Hammers I never knew existed! I assume these were held in place, then stuck by another hammer to obtain the brand, or mark, is that correct? I have never seen any like them in all of my old tool catalogs!

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline Donny B.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:52:57 AM »
.................................... I assume these were held in place, then stuck by another hammer to obtain the brand, or mark, is that correct?...........................................

Thanks,

Wayne

I believe that they were struck against the end grain of a sleeper, log or stump as you would strike with a hammer. I suppose if you were a bit crooked and got the impression a bit light on one side you just gave another whack.

I understand that with a reasonably smart tap, the brand could be brought out for six or more inches into the log. Some warm water poured over the shaved end of a log would bring out a readable impression of the brand if it had been struck.

Offline Fatboy

• Contributor Detroit
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:15:52 PM »
That is a great collection which I never heard of either, any makers marks?
Me and the Dog don't miss no meals!

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »
Thats a nice collection, I like em.

How long are most of em, how many ounces
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood