Author Topic: me, again.... I need some new music  (Read 4048 times)

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
me, again.... I need some new music
« on: November 05, 2011, 04:32:42 AM »
Hi folks, if you've been around here for a while, you know that I love music.  I used to go to music festivals every other week of my life. As of now, it's probably been at least eight years since I've gone to a bluegrass festival or any music festival at all.  I suppose I've been away from the "music scene" enough for a woman (68) to tell me, "Jenny, how long has it been since you've been in a bar?  You haven't been allowed to smoke in a bar for a number of years.... where the hell is your head??? Anyone that lives in Virginia would know that you can't smoke in a bar"..... well, that's news to me. I guess I'm really behind the times!
   I suppose it's been about a decade since I've been in a bar. Anyhow, I'm on the prowl for new music.  I was "raised on" Bob Dylan,  Gordon Light foot,  Billy Joel,  Dolly Parton,  Buddy Holley..... let's see how many names I can butcher in one sentence...... 1812 overture, the messiah, Beethovens    9th (of course), Pictures in exposition.... yeah, I can't spell any of this correctly.
   Anyhow, I'm a big fan of Doc Watson, Handel, Widespread Panic, Metallica, musicals such as Rent, oldies, eighties, early jazz, and everything in between.  I like all kinds of music.... it would be hard for you to find music I don't like.... unless it's "soft rock" .... Kenny G... and so forth.
Anyhow, I'd love to find some new (or old0 music.  Let me know
cheers,
bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: me, again.... I need some new music
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:19:48 AM »
Find Pandora- http://www.pandora.com/ - there you can hear any kind of music you want, make your own stations to listen to, mix and match to your heart's content.
I like old blues and guitar blues.
Find Joe Bonamassa- as a young boy- 12 or 13, he was fronting for BB King, then went out on his own. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bonamassa
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:29:16 PM »
I, too, like alot of different styles of music. Although there are a few genre's I don't like (hip-hop, mariachi, old classical). Most of the stuff I listen to is Christian, so, if you're game for that perspective, here are some of my favorite bands.
Jazz - Justo Almario, Sam Levine
Bluegrass - Brush Arbor
Easy Listening - Sierra, Michele Pillar

One band you might want to try is Petra. They made music from like 1972 thru 2005, and seemed to change styles every 2-3 albums. From funky 70's, light rock, techno, hard rock, alternative, heavy metal.  And I see their stuff on ebay all the time.
Ratchet Guru

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »
I like country and western the twangy sigh, cry and die stuff. IOf you like it too you might find some Iris Dement and John Prine. They are more or less contemporary but they have roots back to the twangy stuff I so dearly love. Emmylou Harris of course.

The Stanley Brothers have some great old stuff too.

The Andrews Sisters were big in the 40's an 50's and I really like them.

All this stuff is on youtube and once you get started it's hard to stop.
All my taste is in my tools.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »
Got no problem with Christian music, I think I've heard of Petra before.  I'll have to check into Justo Almario, Sam Levine, Brush Arbo, ect. Thanks for the info.  I like all kinds of music.... Christian music is great to me!
cheers, I'll look into it
bird

I, too, like alot of different styles of music. Although there are a few genre's I don't like (hip-hop, mariachi, old classical). Most of the stuff I listen to is Christian, so, if you're game for that perspective, here are some of my favorite bands.
Bluegrass - Brush Arbor

One band you might want to try is Petra. They made music from like 1972 thru 2005, and seemed to change styles every 2-3 albums. From funky 70's, light rock, techno, hard rock, alternative, heavy metal.  And I see their stuff on ebay all the time.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:06:48 AM »
Guy Clark - "Home Grown Tomatoes" and many other great songs.

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »
I like old blues and guitar blues.
Find Joe Bonamassa- as a young boy- 12 or 13, he was fronting for BB King, then went out on his own. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bonamassa

Thanks for introducing me to Joe Bonamassa.  Maybe my theme song should be "Don't Get Around Much Anymore."  I hadn't heard of him.  Caught the bit with him at 12 years, and one of him playing with Eric Clapton.  Great stuff.  Old Blues are some of my favorite music, but I have really eclectic tastes there.  I also like Bach, Bluegrass, Zydeco, and about 5 years ago discovered Cuban and Afro-Cuban music.  I want to get a CD of the Buena Vista Club recordings.

Offline BruceS

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »
Some fun music is  is Celtic folk & rock ( Irish/Scottish)   Which were the  Roots of US Blue Grass.   The Chieftians,  Tannahill Weavers,  Boys of Lough, Tommy Makum and Bob Clancey (Irish Rovers), Natalie McMaster (a great Nova Scotia  fiddle player),  Brace your self Bridgett, the older  Off Kilter music. 

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Some fun music is  is Celtic folk & rock ( Irish/Scottish)   Which were the  Roots of US Blue Grass.   The Chieftians,  Tannahill Weavers,  Boys of Lough, Tommy Makum and Bob Clancey (Irish Rovers), Natalie McMaster (a great Nova Scotia  fiddle player),  Brace your self Bridgett, the older  Off Kilter music.

Don't forget Alan Stivell for Celtic Rock.  I like Chemins de Fer, and A L'Olympia albums best.

Offline BruceS

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »

Don't forget Alan Stivell for Celtic Rock.  I like Chemins de Fer, and A L'Olympia albums best.
Thanks for mentioning Alan Stivell !   I hadn't heard of him.   Did a youtube search and found His Brian Boru live.   Very cool,  I see more albums being added to my collection.
Failed to mention that I also have a ton of Pipe Band albums.   I used to be a leading side drummer in three local pipe bands.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »
Thanks folks,  will look into all of them!  The Stanley brothers were, perhaps, my first love in the bluegrass category. I saw them back in 1985 at the Graves Mountain lodge Bluegrass Festival (close to me). I've seen old Ralph a BUNCH of times, he's usually at Merle Fest (bluegrass festival in North Wilksboro, NC), saw him in Greenville and Columbia, SC.
      I think my other "first loves" of bluegrass were the Osborne Brothers, Country Gentlemen, Bill Monroe, and OF COURSE Doc Watson (although I guess he kinda falls into the folk category, too).  I liked Ricky Scaggs towards the beginning of his career, then kind of got a way from him.... but, then he came out with a bad ass album, which I think was called The Three Pickers. 
       I got to see Dar Williams, Natalie McMaster, and Iris Dement at Merlefest. 
I was privileged to see John Prine at Bonaroo.  It seemed to be largely a young crowd. John played in one of the "side stages" and not the main stage. It was great to see that the place was packed and overflowing with persons yards and yards away from the tent in which he was playing under. That was only five years ago or so......  he sounds just the same as he always has.... what a man!
   For any bluegrass fans out there, there are a lot of newer bands that are great.  Yonder Mountain String Band, Ryan Shupe and the Rubberbands, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Steel Drivers, and Sam Bush are names that come to mind.
     If anyone is interested in Folk type music, you're missing out on life if you've not listened to John Gorka. I love the band Eddie From Ohio, Christine Kane, and I love Lucy Kaplansky..... of course, I could go back to Gordon Lightfoot---- an all time favorite of mine  (I can't forget Mary Chapin Carpenter).
     Anyhow, John Gorka has a lot of the folks we've talked about singing with him on various songs... Iris Dement, Lucy Kaplansky, emyloo, ect.
As for Celtic music.... I never knew how true it was that the roots of bluegrass are from Ireland until I spent a few weeks in Irish pubs. I amazed how many songs I knew/ recognized. ... some of the best music I have heard were in those pubs! hmmmmmm.... or was that the Guiness? HAHA
      Bela Fleck is a band I have no idea how to classify.... you'd just have to check it out.
I just started listening to a John Prine album while  writing this.... I have to admit, the lyrics to the song "In spite of ourselves" is truly HILARIOUS!!!!  I forgot how much that song makes me laugh!!!!
Well,
cheers,
bird

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »
Got no problem with Christian music, I think I've heard of Petra before.  I'll have to check into Justo Almario, Sam Levine, Brush Arbo, ect. Thanks for the info.  I like all kinds of music.... Christian music is great to me!
cheers, I'll look into it
bird

Bluegrass - Brush Arbor

Shoot! I just remembered a place that specializes in out-of-print Christian music on tape and disc.
www.radrockers.com
Nice thing about them is, even if you don't buy there, they offer detailed info on what popular band the disc you're looking at sounds like. Great if you're new to a band.
Ratchet Guru

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 07:03:50 AM »
Celtic-  We saw Gaelic Storm in Dubuque last summer and they were terrific.
Have tickets to see Bela Fleck next March here in Cedar Falls.  Saw them in Des Moines back in 2003.  Vic Wooten is in a class by himself
I too like all kinds of music(but Rap is not music).  Try some Eva Cassidy(r.i.p.), Diana Krall, Anthony Wilson, Steely Dan's Aja is one of my all time favorites(and any of Donald Fagan's solo stuff), Allman Bros. Fillmore East is right up there too.  Joe Bonnamassa is supreme.

Also Steve Goodman(esp. when he duets with Jethro Burns), love John  Prine, and Iris D., Mark Knopfler(and Dire Straits),Emmy Lou Harris, Anita Baker, LIghtfoot, Al Jarreau, George Benson, Larry Carlton, Lee Rittenour, Manhattan Transfer, Take 6, Vince Gill, Michael Franks, Jackson Browne, Little Feat, Jerry Jeff Walker, Frank Sinatra, and a Polish gal named Basia(pronounced bah- sha) She does a lot of up beat jazz/latin influenced stuff and some ballads.  Can't believe no one has mentioned the Rascals yet.

But I saved the best for last!!  For those of you that weren't part of the 60's music scene in the midwest, there was a band out of Lawrence KS, by the name of the Fabulous Flippers.  Occasionally you'll find their stuff on ebay, but it goes for high dollar now.  If you want a taste of their version of blue eyed soul/James Brown wannabes, then search on You Tube  "Fabulous Flippers Harlem Shuffle"(flipside of the 45 was I Don't Wanna Cry) and enjoy what has to be one of the first music videos ever made  circa 1965.  The Stones didn't do this old Bob And Earl classic justice in the early 80's. The Flippers put it on Steroids!!  Same treatment to Chuck Jackson's " I Don't Wanna Cry".  They had the choreography and the horns in their live shows.  Only saw them once in Ames IA at the ISU Memorial Center in the fall of '67, but they were the BOMB!!  One of the band members still performs in Fayetteville AR.  Danny Hein(realtor by trade) Go to Danny Hein,com and get more info.  Even the ubiquitous "loose cannon" Pat O'Brien raves about the Flippers dances when he was growing up in S. Dakota.  Roger Lewis was one of the horn players and he's still active too.  Joe Bob says "Check It Out"!!!

DM&FS
Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice