Author Topic: Disston No 2 Compass blade  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Argyfoe

Disston No 2 Compass blade
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:52:50 PM »
Amongst the pile of too many saws that I have is a No 2 compass saw.  Tote is in excellent condition.   Problem being that the blade is about 5" long.  Broken off by a previous owner with gorilla arms.
What would you recommend I replace it with?  It will be a user saw on the saw rack.
I've seen adds for "new" blades that'll fit, but I'm leery of new steel.  Just like new math.

Cheers,
Bill

Offline rustyfordgarage

Re: Disston No 2 Compass blade
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
  Have quite a few saws of that style with full length blades and broken or home made totes. The blades have the bows, bends and rust to prove they are not new.  Would be happy to send one or two if you would want salvage them. I guess I don't know if it's possible or wise to attempt straightening them for use.  Maybe someone who knows better can give some wisdom.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:37:49 AM »
What makes it a No. 2 saw?  Photos might help.

Offline Argyfoe

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
Photos attached.
The top saw is one I've cleaned up and will probably sell.  I've tried using it and it bows allot.  The blade has a couple of kinks that I've tried to remove, to no avail.  Maybe I just need more practice.  Either sharpening, straitening, or both.

Offline rustyfordgarage

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:52:20 PM »
I wonder if a kink in the blade isn't why the short one got shorter in the first place.

Offline Argyfoe

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 09:07:32 PM »
More than likely Rusty.  From what I've read it's not uncommon.
Dug around a bit in the pile and found another compass saw with a narrower blade that is strait.  I think the blade is newer too, may be more of a modern flavor.  (70s-80s) Judging from plaiting on it.  I'll try a spark test on it and see if it's carbon or carbide.