Aircraft Tool Users and Collectors > Discussions About Classic Tools for Aircraft

Broaching (ha ha) a new topic

<< < (2/3) > >>

lptools:
I have no idea of the cost, but the bulk of the expense would be in the planning & set-up. Cost per socket would likely go down if you made more than one. Do you know anyone with a similar interest? Pool your resources? Just a thought, Lou

Chillylulu:

--- Quote from: Cutman on October 17, 2017, 04:24:20 PM --- Do you think it would be expensive to have an inch and a quarter 24 point spline socket made up?

--- End quote ---
1¼" to the outside of the splines?
Can you show a picture of the fastener?

Chilly

leg17:
I would expect the broach to cost around $500-1,000, give or take.
Then you need a suitable broaching machine and a properly designed blank socket.
You need to check with a broaching company for more precise estimates.

How many sockets of that exact size are you wanting?

Nolatoolguy:
It would be costly to broach a socket blank 24 spline socket. It’s do able but costly, specially for one socket.

My work is always making their own specialty tools. Lots of our work is one off rush jobs for the energy industry. For socket type things we have cnc waterjet cut the shape an welded onto Whatever handle or ratchet need be. Other tools we can do up to 5 axis milling on. It’s not a pretty looking tool but works in a pinch. We also do convential broaching but a 24 spline socket would be easier to do in cnc.

JoeCB:
When someone asks about having something made, the first and MOST important question is ... how many do you want? The answer drives the degree of capitalization required for the job. Want one, very low capital investment and perhaps lots of labor. If you want 10,000 the capital investment could be substantial, labor for actual production nearly zero.
As for your 24 pt socket, need only one? no expensive broach needed, the job can be done on a shaper, tooling cost about zero.

Joe B

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version