Author Topic: C. P. Wrench  (Read 873 times)

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
C. P. Wrench
« on: October 01, 2016, 12:28:34 PM »
A recent eBay auction has me wondering. It is for a C. P. Wrench combination wrench, knife and screw driver. The listing states that the seller questions if it is a prototype or just an unfinished example. Per the patent and known examples the the spring on the self adjusting wrench jaw is riveted to the back of the wrench handle/knife back. The sellers example doesn't have a spring and there isn't any evidence of a hole for the spring rivet so he assumes the piece never had a spring. This example was never stamped with the usual makers name and patent date.

Enter Lewill2, I have a C. P. Wrench in my collection. My example doesn't have a riveted spring either but mine does have a bent spring that is held in place by locking in place with a small tab in front of the pivot boss. There isn't any evidence of a rivet hole in mine either although mine is stamped with the name and patent date information.

Does anyone else have a C. P. Wrench example that either has a riveted spring, no spring or a V shaped spring like mine? Has anyone seen one in person that has seen either style? I tried to remove the pivot screw but it doesn't want to come loose so I don't want to force the spring out of position.

Patent number is 888795, May 26, 1908.

Offline Yadda

Re: C. P. Wrench
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »
Maybe Bob will wander by.  I believe he's seen more than a few of these and he might even have one.  Really nice one you have there!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Online Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 05:59:40 PM »
The C.P. Wrench knife was made in two different variations (that I'm aware of). What I believe to be the earlier version had a flat spring for the jaw, which was held in place by a single rivet. It was marked C.P WRENCH Co. Pat. 5-28-'08 as shown:

Les, you have what I believe to be the later version, with a bent spring on the jaw and some additional markings, as shown: 

(Also notice a difference in the top jaw pivot pin -vs- screw)

I believe the example on currently on eBay is simply a bent-spring version that has lost its spring.

My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 06:55:07 PM »
Thanks Bob