Author Topic: Billings & Spencer Holdup in Colorado  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Joe Malone

Billings & Spencer Holdup in Colorado
« on: July 27, 2016, 10:23:22 PM »
Good evening to everyone.
I am pecking away here in Southern Colorado on a comfortable summer evening of 75 degrees with a light breeze. I live out here where the buses will never run with my wife Debra and my dog Annie. I keep myself busy with old trucks, older cars and even older tools.
This last and latest interest has brought to me to the purchase of an early (1915-1920?) Billings & Spencer 1/2" pressed steel socket set.  The ratchet wheel and its associated female drive parts are missing leaving a 11/16" circular hole in the teardrop shaped head. In the attached image ( I hope) you will see the the incomplete ratchet positioned below another, larger 1/2" female drive B&S ratchet  (CA?)which is , judging from the logos / trademarks, somewhat newer. I should also point out that this larger ratchet will not fit in the original wooden box. The incomplete ratchet, on the other hand, fits rather nicely. For these reasons I conclude that this incomplete and smaller ratchet is the original tool that came with the set.
However, how a 1/2" female drive ratchet wheel  and parts would fit into an 11/16"+ housing, I have no idea.
Do any of you gentlemen have an image or a catalog rendering of this model ratchet with its teardrop head that would give me some answers?
While the Alloy Artifacts website was very helpful in dating the approximate age of my set, it provided no information or images regarding this set.
Thank you,
Joe Malone