Author Topic: Hey Model-T Ford guys, ever seen one of these?  (Read 3960 times)

Online moparthug

Hey Model-T Ford guys, ever seen one of these?
« on: March 16, 2016, 05:25:57 PM »
Just picked this up this morning, (along with a McKaig-Hatch Ford pliers). It's marked Ruckstell Axle 9/16 with the number 2086 on the back. I believe Ruckstell is an aftermarket 2-speed rear axle for a model-T, sooooo.... this could be a factory tool for the Ruckstell rear ends? And I don't recognize the forge mark, any ideas on that? Anybody have one? The pivot ball on the top is metal and not wood.
Rogue River, OR.

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
Re: Hey Model-T Ford guys, ever seen one of these?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »
Nice find!!
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »
The manufacturer mark is Walden Worcester Wrenches -- they also produced contract work, and the hollow ball handle on the end is pat. no. 1,626,671.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 09:30:18 PM »
as MVWCNEWS stated, that looks like Walden's style W

if you check our Walden's number 6018 9/16" speed wrench, in 1928 they listed it for;
Ford Model A & T  and they listed some of the uses for it.

ball and socket bolt nut
intake and exhaust manifold
cylinder to lower base
fan bracket bolt
magnet screw caps
transmission cover bolt and nut
transmission drive plate screws
timing gear cover
and other applications ?????

NOTE; in 1917, they made the same wrench with a wood knob handle, 9/16" and they listed it as designed for
use on transmission cover nut and engine base nut.  Walden No. BS18

I have both, the BS18 & 6018

they may have made the wrench special for garage repairmen to work on that rear end.  Walden was a great leader in manufacturing
wrenches for  auto repair and they concentrated heavy on Mr. Henry Ford's tin lizzy.

just my 2 cents worth, Frank       

Online moparthug

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 11:32:28 PM »
Yup, you guys are right, I can see the Walden Worcester family line is this tool. If Ruckstell Axle had a contract production order through WW I should, eventually, be able to track down the 2086 part number as I would imagine the order was for tens of thousands (or more) of speed wrenches with their company name on them. I'll dive into the Ruckstell business end of this and see if specialty tools were included when you purchased a new over/under drive rear end for your model-T, or if the tools were listed in the same automotive parts catalog as the aftermarket rear end. As always, thanks for your wisdom!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:35:07 PM by moparthug »
Rogue River, OR.

Offline strik9

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 11:13:13 PM »
Cool beans!

I have a 6018 I stumbled upon at a junk seller.  Badly rust pitted and the socket worn but clear what it is.

Thanks for the good info.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »
Back in the day speed wrenches were the go to tool for fast work. Look at any assembly plant film from the twenties or thirties , like the Ford assembly plant videos and you will see many speed wrenches at work on the line.

Joe B