Author Topic: Syracuse 154 wrench  (Read 8349 times)

Offline plowwrench

Syracuse 154 wrench
« on: December 04, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »
Hi to all!  I'm new here on this site, and trying to post my first response and photos.  Hope it all goes through!

I'd like to respond to a previous entry by rustcollector, posted on Feb. 22, 2014.  He inquired about a possible variation of the Syracuse 154 wrench, a variation having a loop handle.  I don't know about this variation, but I'd like to put in my two-cents worth about the 154 wrench family tree.

According to P.T. Rathbone's book, Volume II, on page 272, Syracuse Plow Company bought out the Economist Plow Company.   I quote, "We secured by purchase the entire business of the Economist Plow Company, including the stock, patterns, good will, etc........"  This buyout occurred Sep 14th. in 1897.

This little blurb on page 272 of Vol. II of Mr. Rathbone's book also shows a photo of the now Syracuse plow, called the "Solid Comfort".

I have a copy of a publication called the "Minnesota Farmer's Institutes", dated 1892, and there is an advertisement in this publication from the Economist Plow Co.  They are advertising their "Solid Comfort" plow (same name as the  Syracuse plow).  Looking closely at photo in the Economist ad, you can see a wrench hanging beneath the seat of the plow which is a Dead-Wringer for the Syracuse/Deere 154 wrench.  Of course, no number can be seen, but I'd like to suggest the possibility of an additional branch for the Syracuse/Deere 154 wrench family tree.  It appears to me that it originated with the economist Plow Company.  I don't propose that this is actual PROOF, but there certainly seems to be room for speculation about it.   Can anybody add more to this?

(IT WON'T LET ME POSST ALL THIS - SAYS FILE TOO BIG.  I'LL POST THE PHOTOS AS A RESPONSE OR A NEW SUBJECT).

Offline plowwrench

Re: Syracuse 154 wrench
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:59:33 PM »
I'm sorry - I can't get even one photo to post, and  I do NOT know how to resize the photos.  If anyone is interested in seeing them, I'll email 'em to you.

plowwrench

Offline plowwrench

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »
I think I found a way around the problem of photo size.  I'm attempting to repost now.  hope they go thru!

plowwrench

Offline turnnut

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 03:43:53 PM »
 in P.T. Rathbone's VOL. 111  prices realized at auction,  he list  (5) 154's   and (1) * 154 ( 15" w/h )

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 05:57:04 PM »
The top two are the variants of the 154. I'm sure Wayne and Frank have researched these more than I have, but to my knowledge, Wayne is the only other one to have the loop handle variant that we think is a very early variant of the 154. Plowwrench, could you email me the pictures you posted? I am pretty sure we'll be doing a new Deere list in the coming year. If Wayne will ever answer his phone or get back to me. The rest are all but 2 known, and 100% positively Id'd, Syracuse wrenches. I forgot to put a common Z2 on there and still don't have the Z4F.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 06:01:15 PM »
The 157 on another plow.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 08:54:54 PM »
rustcollector,   that Economist ad really shows that wrench fairly well.

your wrench board is neat also, there is room on the bottom for your common Z2  and a Z4F

I just checked P.T.'s volume 11  and found the picture of the Z4F

??? do you have any measurements on the Z4F  ???

???  any writing or numbers on the wrench ???

Frank 

Offline plowwrench

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 09:37:11 AM »
Rustcollector - I'd be glad to email the pics to you.  I can't seem to access your email address from this site.  How do I get email addresses?  I thought I'd find it in the member profile, but all I get is a "fatal error" message when I click on the envelope icon.

Plowwrench

Offline turnnut

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 02:01:48 PM »
plowwrench,

check below his name on the above posting, you will see "posting" and a picture of an envelope.

Offline plowwrench

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 02:25:48 PM »
Yes - I tried that, too.  All I get is a "FATAL ERROR" message.  Don't know waht to try next, but I'd appreciate any ideas!

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 03:33:18 PM »
Yes - I tried that, too.  All I get is a "FATAL ERROR" message.  Don't know waht to try next, but I'd appreciate any ideas!

I get the same message when I click on the envelope
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline turnnut

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »
I just tried plowwrench and got the same message.

we will have to wait until Papaw gets back on tool talk. he will check it out.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 04:26:26 PM »
Been out hunting for deals all day....
dchopiak@yahoo.com
Thanks.

Rustcollector - I'd be glad to email the pics to you.  I can't seem to access your email address from this site.  How do I get email addresses?  I thought I'd find it in the member profile, but all I get is a "fatal error" message when I click on the envelope icon.

Plowwrench

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 06:10:47 PM »
I would tell you to open the member's profile and you will see hie email address, but Rustcollector's had changed and had not been updated.
I have updated it now. The "envelope" link doesn't work.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:12:39 PM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 08:01:13 PM »
I don't have the measurements off hand. It does have Z4 on it but all I have seen are weaker type markings so far. It brings a fair dollar for a pretty plain looking wrench, that's why I don't have one yet.
rustcollector,   that Economist ad really shows that wrench fairly well.

your wrench board is neat also, there is room on the bottom for your common Z2  and a Z4F

I just checked P.T.'s volume 11  and found the picture of the Z4F

??? do you have any measurements on the Z4F  ???

???  any writing or numbers on the wrench ???

Frank