Author Topic: how do you tell the series apart in sidchrome spanners  (Read 3064 times)

Offline jefftrin

how do you tell the series apart in sidchrome spanners
« on: November 27, 2015, 07:05:19 AM »
I have started collecting Sidchrome spanners as it is a goal of mine to purchase a old wall cabinet and stock with original tools for that cabinet.........any help will be kindly appreciated
ive just started collecting tools.....starting off with Sidchrome  Australian made

Offline amecks

Re: how do you tell the series apart in sidchrome spanners
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:36:43 AM »
Welcome.  Someone here on Tool Talk may know about Sidchrome.  It is new to me.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline bill300d

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 08:20:50 AM »
Don't see them very often here. I think that in my 15 years acquiring hand tools I've only seen and purchased one.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »
I know very little about them. Our Aussie and Kiwi members will chime in soon.
"The brand emerged when Royston Siddons' Siddons Drop Forgings Pty Ltd turned to tool making to fill post-war shortages after World War II. Original production of Sidchrome tools in Australia was in the Brunswick area in the city of Melbourne, Victoria.

The Sidchrome brand built its reputation with high quality products. Sidchrome up until 1996 were manufactured in Australia, but since being acquired by The Stanley Works (now call Stanley Black & Decker) production is now undertaken in Taiwan."  From Wikipedia
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline jefftrin

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 10:49:10 AM »
thanks everyone for there input so far, this link I think some of you at least will enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gGoFQx4bKI
ive just started collecting tools.....starting off with Sidchrome  Australian made

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 11:12:37 AM »
 Thanks for sharing. Those are impressive tools. Have never seen one or heard of them before. Enjoyed the video.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline jefftrin

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 11:17:45 AM »
I am glad that you liked the Sidchrome history video, it seems like most of this type of stuff is lost to history forever

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »
Agreed.  The film was great.  I need to hunt up some more.

When I was in France 30 years ago, I saw their truckers in shorts and clogs, but somehow I can't imagine Mad Max in flip flops.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline jefftrin

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »
LOL it was pretty well standard uniform in Australia for truckies navy blue Bonds singlet black Stubbies shorts and well we don't call them flipflops .....we call them thongs but then came the do gooders that were paid good money to sit in a office and make up new rules to save us all from ourselves the good old occupation and safety crew, most couldn't knock a red hot nail in a wax dolls bum.so now its hi vis vests made of nylon fabulous in 110 degree heat in Aussie outback