Author Topic: Pump man's money printer  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Aunt Phil

Pump man's money printer
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:02:23 PM »
These were very popular back in the 50s when gas stations checked oil at the pump.  If the station also sold fan belts, the pump jockey could increase belt sales with one of these while he was checking the oil even if the driver was watching.  Some even checked radiator hoses.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline amecks

Re: Pump man's money printer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 07:47:17 PM »
I worked late nights at the newspaper for some much needed extra cash.  They used these to cut the string on bundles.  I didn't like it because it got in the way for everything else I did.  Horrible job loading all the inserts into machines that fed them into the Sunday paper.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 07:54:25 PM »
I worked late nights at the newspaper for some much needed extra cash.  They used these to cut the string on bundles.  I didn't like it because it got in the way for everything else I did.  Horrible job loading all the inserts into machines that fed them into the Sunday paper.

How dare you use such a fine tool for its intended purpose?
Must have been a small paper if it didn't have a bundle tieing machine.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline amecks

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:08:09 AM »
No. it was the Syracuse paper which is big enough - they had a tieing machine - we were the UN-tiers.
I'm glad I never fell victim to a hose or belt cutter.  I remember gas stations with pump attendants when I was a kid - they would check the oil and everything.  By the time I got my own wheels those days were done - they only pumped gas - no "extras".
We used to pay 17 cents for gas and they pumped it.  Now were paying $2.50 to $ 4 and we have to pump it ourselves.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:25:02 AM »
In New Jersey and I think Oregon the general public isn't qualified to pump their own gas. They still pump it for you. I live close enough to NJ that I usually go across the river to buy gas in NJ since it is usually about 30 cents a gallon cheaper then in PA.

Offline donald_wa

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 11:31:12 AM »
those finger knives were and still are used in agriculture for cutting twine when you are trellising grapes , etc.

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 10:22:38 AM »
These were very popular back in the 50s when gas stations checked oil at the pump. If the station also sold fan belts, the pump jockey could increase belt sales with one of these while he was checking the oil even if the driver was watching.  Some even checked radiator hoses.

Ah yes, that used to be part of the Welcome to Florida Snowbirds !! program....

Brian

Offline jefftrin

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 04:38:09 PM »
These finger knives are also used in the laundry industry for quick cutting of pull threads
ive just started collecting tools.....starting off with Sidchrome  Australian made

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 06:06:22 PM »
Yes, saw them in the '50's, and at several stations I worked at they wanted you to wear one.
Molon Labe