Author Topic: so here's one for y'all to comment on  (Read 3451 times)

Offline bigpapa128

so here's one for y'all to comment on
« on: March 27, 2015, 03:33:07 PM »
Hello everyone. I found a double-ended wrench that has a crescent wrench on one end and a pipe wrench on the other. I've never seen one like it before. The overall length of the tool is about 9 inches. On one side it says drop forged jaws 8" and the other side says heavy duty. There is no name of the maker anywhere. It's very cool and I think I've got a rare find as there really is almost nothing I've found online giving info on it. Any and all feedback appreciated. I'm trying to add a pic of the wrench but having trouble.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: so here's one for y'all to comment on
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 05:23:31 PM »
We see the picture from an auction.  That was  Don Ervin's Antique Wrench Auction
April 18 and 19, 2008 - York, Nebraska, and the item was decribed as
"0702. DROP FORGED JAWS 8" / 8" HEAVY DUTY - - 9" Crescent type wrench on one end with an adjustable pipe wrench on the other. Never seen this configuration before. Excellent. (not listed, no info.) "
Might still be a mystery. Bus Haury might know.
Do you actually have one of these wrenches?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:29:04 PM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bigpapa128

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 05:29:46 PM »
I found that pic online which at least told me that my wrench wasn't homemade. I believe it came from a site called the wrenching news. I can't seem to post my own pic because it says the file is too large and I can't seem to figure it out yet. I'm frustrated.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »
We welcome you to Tool Talk.
Posting pictures is covered here- http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=61.0

If you need to resize your images, the easiest software I have found is freeware from www.irfanview.com .
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 05:50:19 PM »
Thanks bigpapa for posting the picture.

I have wondered why nobody ever made one of these since it always seemed like a good idea to me.

I'd been giving some thought for a while about how to do it and what to use to make it.

Then I happened to wind up with an 8" Stillson pipe wrench without a handle and an 8" Proto adjustable that I didn't need, and some xtra time.

I cut the tang, where the handle would normally go, off the pipe wrench and about an inch and a quarter off the end of the Proto.  I Then cut the web out of the Proto with a Dremel cut off wheel and ground the interior to fit over the remains of the pipe wrench handle. 

A trip to a friend with a welder got the two married together.  I wasn't real happy with the way the welding turned out, so I pressed the Dremel back into service and smoothed everything up as good as I could.  I still wasn't totally happy with the way it looked, so I mixed up some Marine-Tex and used it to fill in some rough spots and smooth things up. 

Another bout with the Dremel and I was done.  Interestingly I haven't had occasion to use it, although part of the reason may be that I put it in a drawer and kind of forgot about it.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:53:01 PM by mikeswrenches »
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 06:57:53 PM »
Interesting, Mike! :grin:
Ratchet Guru

Offline bigpapa128

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 07:56:35 PM »
Ok thank you for the advice on downloading a resizing program. I installed resize me app on my note 3 so here goes what I got. My actual tool and a neat ad I found I believe taken from a popular science ad.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:32:51 PM by bigpapa128 »

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 04:27:09 AM »
Kool Tool!!
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 09:58:37 AM »
Heck yeah it is! I hope there are more of them out there, because now I want one.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »
I'm Have never come across one of those but if I do I'm quite sure (no!!! I'm positive!!!!) they are going home with me.

bill
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 10:45:52 PM »
Heck yeah it is! I hope there are more of them out there, because now I want one.
+1

Chilly