Author Topic: Jointer fence  (Read 3677 times)

Offline stanley62

Jointer fence
« on: February 17, 2015, 11:04:30 AM »
I found this for a good price this weekend.  Its a Stanley 386 Jointer Fence.  It is my favorite era, the "V" logo.  Only issue is that it is missing the knob.  Does anyone know if a know off of something like a 48 would be the same?

Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Jointer fence
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:45:26 AM »
Nice find!

There are people who make reproduction knobs for Stanley 45s; they can probably tell you if one of their knobs will fit.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:58:25 PM »
 I'd try a No 3 & No 4 low knob to see if thread is compatible. You will need rod and nut and that would be simple solution if it fits.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline stanley62

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 02:08:45 PM »
I have plenty of "donor" 3's and 4's to steal a know from.  It just seems to me it is going to be smaller.

Jim

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »
I have plenty of "donor" 3's and 4's to steal a know from.  It just seems to me it is going to be smaller.

Jim

Do you have one that would fit a 5 1/4?

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »
Stanley #386 jointer gauge knobs are close in size to those found on later #2 size bench planes.  They're sort of tall and elongated.  If you get a chance, there's a #386 featured in the Hand Plane thread on page 16.  The pictures aren't great, but you can at least get a general idea of what the knob looks like.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:22:38 AM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:02:22 AM »
Stanley #386 jointer gauge knobs are close in size to those found on later #2 size bench planes.  They're sort of tall and elongated.  If you get a chance, there's a #386 featured in the Hand Plane thread on page 16.  The pictures aren't great, but you can at least get a general idea of what the knob looks like.

Jim C.

When I finally find my #2 (because I am being cheap and I want to brag and get a good one for less than $100) I will guard all parts, knob, tote, and frog... I won't transplant it to a jointer. Maybe from my 2nd #2 that I'll find real cheap the day after I finally spring for the $225 #2.

Too bad it isn't any type #4. I bet I have 25 or 30 I got because the description was poor, the pictures were poor, and it could have been 7" x 1-5/8".

Chilly

Offline stanley62

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 08:09:33 PM »
Well,  I now have a nice knob for my 386 fence.  I got it from Pete Niederberger.  Pete sells plane parts and has done me well in the past as well as this time.
No website, but you can contact him pniederber@aol.com if you want to know if he has something you are looking for.

Jim

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »
 I'm sure it was a bargain but when you need a part you need a part. Have you compared it to a No2 tall knob ? Put my No5 in the box on E-bay thru a friend. Hes been getting good money for 3s and 4s.

PS if you find a handful of 289 fences I'm still looking for one.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:47:02 AM by jimwrench »
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline stanley62

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 12:01:19 PM »
I have to admit that I had to look up a 289 to see what it was.  I have a couple vendors at local swaps that have parts, but they are usually pretty savvy and only have parts for low end planes.  A 289 doesn't really qualify as that.

Jim