Author Topic: South Wales toolie  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Offwith

South Wales toolie
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:14:39 AM »
Hello all

I came across your site whilst trying to find out some info on a little scythe spanner (a Kwikset scythe/Longlife snead if anyone knows anything!). I am a Trustee of a Welsh charity (TFSR Cymru) which refurbishes public-donated tools/sewing machines and puts together artisan toolkits for village projects in Tanzania. Consequently we get a lot of collectors tools which we refurb and sell on to the likes of your good selves to finance our workshop. I have a strong interest in mechanics tools, vehicle toolkit items and mining/quarrying tools. I collect mining tools (mining was my first job) and enjoy researching the unusual stuff that comes into the workshop, especially pen-knives and spanners/wrenches.

Phil

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: South Wales toolie
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 08:13:50 AM »
Welcome to Tool Talk!

Interesting project sending tools to Tanzania. I spent 4 years there in the early 60s in the U S Peace Corps teaching school and building schools.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Offwith

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 10:35:24 AM »
Welcome to Tool Talk!

Interesting project sending tools to Tanzania. I spent 4 years there in the early 60s in the U S Peace Corps teaching school and building schools.

I spent December 2014 there. We met blacksmiths, carpenters, tailors, shoe-makers and every other trade. It was brilliant to see all the tools we had sent out back in use and earning somebody a living! We went to Tanga, Loshoto, Mwanza, Bukoba, Musoma and spent a day on the beach at Dar before the flight back. Hope to go back again in a couple more years.

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »
what a great idea

give us an idea what you can use

we may have things kicking around that we can send
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline Offwith

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »
what a great idea

give us an idea what you can use

we may have things kicking around that we can send
That is so nice to hear. We are happy to be donated any hand tool as well as sewing/knitting machines and workshop stuff like bench grinders up to and including lathes. We also take small electrical stuff as long as it is of tidy quality, as cheap DIY equipment burns out too fast. We also welcome garden, collectible and hobby tools, but we refurbish these to sell, rather than send. A 20 tonne container is sent every year, it costs about £6K, so that's a lot of spades, billhooks, rakes and tiny tools we have to sell ("6" or less" section has been duly noted!).

We also do a pile of events and festivals, where we take a load of stuff for sale. There is an events list on our website  http://www.tfsrcymru.org.uk/ . We have been teaching blacksmithing at Glastonbury since it kicked off!

If you are looking for anything, especially spanners and whatnot, drop me a line and I'll keep an eye out. We can post to anywhere. We had a 16lb stonemason's "Goliath" axe last week, so you never know what is going to show up!

Phil

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:31:34 PM by Papaw »

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 05:39:16 PM »
Hi Phil, welcome from Florida.  That is a really nice thing you folks are involved in.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Offwith

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 06:30:59 PM »
Hi Phil, welcome from Florida.  That is a really nice thing you folks are involved in.

Mike
Spent a week on Santa Maria, very fond memories of Rotten Ralph's bar!!! Never EVER think a "rum runner" is a normal drink by any definition of the word.

Phil