Author Topic: A double plane  (Read 6517 times)

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: A double plane
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
Museums can be like that
  One time I was over the hill in Wonder Or, visiting the local museum there.
They had a fairly decent wooden plow plane on display. No blades at all.
 But out back in the "shed" were the full set of blades, piled in with horseshoe stuff. 
   I tried to talk to one of the women, who directed me to the director, a huffy puffy stuffy gassbag of a pretender, who could never believe a museum patron could ever teach him something.
  This dildo had things wrong in just about every area of the museum.

I guess his likely "museum curator" degree was mostly about record keeping.
  He sure didn't know crap about antiques.
     yours Scott 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:26:28 AM by scottg »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 02:26:18 PM »
I've seen that too many times!
When I had a display of wrenches in our local museum, a friend and I set everything up in a certain pattern that lent to the stories of the wrenches. When we went to see the display after it opened, they  had rearranged things in what they considered a "Better" way!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline khsquarehead

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 03:16:44 PM »
Museums can be like that
  One time I was over the hill in Wonder Or, visiting the local museum there.
They had a fairly decent wooden plow plane on display. No blades at all.
 But out back in the "shed" were the full set of blades, piled in with horseshoe stuff. 
   I tried to talk to one of the women, who directed me to the director, a huffy puffy stuffy gassbag of a pretender, who could never believe a museum patron could ever teach him something.
  This dildo had things wrong in just about every area of the museum.

I guess his likely "museum curator" degree was mostly about record keeping.
  He sure didn't know crap about antiques.
     yours Scott 

Scott,

I agreed with 99% of your post,and had similar experiences, however, as an appreciator of tools, calling this man a dildo, is offensive to a perfectly good tool, calling him an ass or even as woody harrelson might have said, a "dilrod" might be more appropriate.

Regards,

Kris

Offline turnnut

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 03:45:57 PM »
I enjoy visiting museums, and yes, they sometimes have people that do not know what all the items on display are.

but, please remember, today, it is hard for many small museums to get volunteers that have the
knowledge, but they are willing to help out to keep the museum open.

out my way, there are scattered museums that do not get the grants that the big known museums
get.

I was at a museum/display and was looking over an item when an elderly lady came up to me and
asked if I knew what it was and what it was used for, I did and started to explain it to her and she asked me if I could wait for her to get her pen and pad to write it down.  she wanted to learn more about what she was in charge of.

we have to honor the people that are trying to save the objects that helped build America.

just my 2 cents, thank you, Frank   

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 06:24:21 PM »
All of the women at the museum I was talking about were volunteers. And I would have carried every one of them on back if I could.  They were wonderful ladies!
 But the director was being paid, and desperate to lord it over the women or anyone else in range.  A braggart with nowhere near enough to back it up.
  The museum is a large old house and outbuildings that were surely donated. Mr puffy stuffy had things in the wrong rooms all over the house. Kitchen stuff in the parlor and bedroom stuff in the pantry. Obviously no clue at all.

When I was younger (much younger) I ran the Happy Camp museum for years.
A private museum belonging to my friend Milt the druggist.
 It was an entire town of small buildings. Drugstore, print shop, saloon, sherriff office/jail, blacksmith, fire hall, church, school and more.
 Every building stuffed to the gills with antiques.

If I ever got anyone who seemed to know what they were talking about? I tried to pump every last bit of available information I could get out of them!
 They weren't always right, but more times than not they were completely right, or they wouldn't have spoke up.
     I learned lots of things from the museum patrons.

Nobody knows everything, or even 1/2.
      yours Scott

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 01:39:47 PM »
My bride has had to stop me several times when I wanted to offer suggestions.  The one that I've seen way too many times is a Stanley 45 assembled with the fence backwards.