Author Topic: FACOM Ford Wrench  (Read 2766 times)

Offline clouseau

FACOM Ford Wrench
« on: September 06, 2011, 03:14:48 AM »
Hello all.

Been lurking for a while. great site and thanks to all contributors for making it such a useful source of info.

Came across this wrench at the weekend and wondered if anyone could shed any light on it.

Has F.A.C.O.M. embossed on one side and the Ford logo on the other.

No sizes indicated but the open end is 1 1/8" and the box end 3/4".

It is 10" long.

TYIA

[edit] I should add that I am in France and so used to seeing Facom stuff but not before with the Ford logo.

p.s. had problems posting pics due to filesize so hope this works

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:53:56 AM by clouseau »

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
Re: FACOM Ford Wrench
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »
Nice!

and Welcome!

it's a Ford style wrench, made by several companies over the years.

first one I have seen made by Facom, tho.

Maybe English Ford?

or German Ford?

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:58:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
FACOM makes a great tool, supposedly equal to Snap-On in quality. 
You have a real beauty there!
Ratchet Guru

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 04:39:37 PM »
    Facom is the #1 producer of hand tools in Europe. All tools are produced to meet very strict performance, strength, safety and ergonomic criteria. And historically, they have been a very good value compared to their competitors.

In 2005, Facom was sold to Stanley Tool corporation. People are working with Stanley's management at this time to continue bringing Facom products to the US market. Ultimate Garage Company stocks and supports more Facom items than any other distributor in the US today.

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »

Interesting wrench. It is perfectly sensible for there to be French made Ford wrenches, Société Française des Automobiles (SAF)-Ford was assembling Model T's in Bordeaux and Model A's in  Asnières-sur-Seine, so someone, somewhere had to be making tools.....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline BRwrench

• Ohio
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:21:09 PM »
Very nice Ford wrench, it apears to be a Model A wrench.  I have a  large collection of Ford wrenches, but that is one I don't have. (Now I have another one to look for.)

Offline clouseau

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 01:46:57 AM »
thanks for the welcomes and the replies.

I came across the wrench on Sunday, in amongst a bunch of rusting items in a crate..... it was the fifth flea market (vide grenier) i had been to that day and I hadn't seen anything of interest up until then!

Interesting about the assembling of the Model T in Bordeaux, I am between Bordeaux and Toulouse, and also the Model A in Asnieres-sur-Seine (up around Paris). Wiki tells me they also assembled the Model Y (Ford 8 in France?), though dates suggest that would have been at Asnieres.

i have lots of Facom stuff gathered over the years, with the name either imprinted or embossed in a variety of ways, but have not seen the logo embossed like on this wrench, (almost like an acronym with the dots).

Facom developed as a hand tool manufacturer between the wars in the Paris region, mainly for the railway sector but expanding to other industries, so the Asnieres link seems good. (the history section on the official website is quite sparse for this time period).

Anyway, I woke up this morning and, as per usual, I learnt something new from this site!

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 01:55:05 AM by clouseau »

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »
Judging by the opening sizes it would be a Model "A" spark plug and cylinder head bolt wrench and with the Ford logo must of been made for the original tool kit instead of after market. Interestingly the USA made wrenches for the Model "A" were only marked with the Ford logo for the first six months of production.

First one I've seen and I've seen thousands of Ford wrenches.