Author Topic: Billhooks and other misc edge tools  (Read 6703 times)

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
Billhooks and other misc edge tools
« on: November 02, 2014, 12:09:53 PM »
The billhook is a tool common throughout Europe, Mexico, South America and much of Asia (it was developed independently in India, China and Japan, and taken to other countries by European settlers)... It was included in many lists of tools of British emigrés to the USA (or the American Colonies as it was then), and also taken over by German and Finnish immigrants (and many others)... It was a common tool in the Revolutionary War period, often known as a fascine knife, and also made in the USA in the late 19th and early 20th centuries... In the West Indies it 'morphed' into the sugar cane knife, which is also still common in the USA...

Collins sold a version (although stamped Made in Germany) it was listed in the American Axe Company catalogues, and at least one small independent maker made leather handled patterns (ex Italy) in California. It was reinvented as the Woodman's Pal by a Swiss emigré, Frederick Ehrsam, and later (circa 1941) became adopted by the USMC as the LC-14-B jungle and survival (machete type) tool.

It's big brothers, the bush (or brush) axe or hook are common, yet the humble billhook, that most invaluable of tools for coppice work and green woodwork has all but disappeared fro the american psyche...

It appears in images of medieval carpenter's shops in Dutch paintings, and a variant, the coopers knife, with a single bevel, was used in many European (but not UK/British) coopers shops well into the 20th century, so it can also be a useful addition to the carpenter's tool kit..

Prior to the invention of the secateurs for pruning, c 1830 (they did not become widespread until the late 19th century) they were used for all pruning of fruit trees, shrubs, roses, hedges and grape vines - and small ones were used for the grape harvests...

As a boy in the UK I used one for chopping kindling wood, and every household had one - they are still common place in much of Europe,  and several Italian makers still offer a great range of regional variations in blade shape (one French maker in 1935 showed over 200 patterns in their catalogue, and stated they had the patterns for over 3000 different shapes - and would make any other to order upon receipt of a drawing or a paper template - in a later 1960's catalogue they also stated they had over 7000 patterns of scythe and 5000 patterns of sickles).

So why did this tool all but disappear in the USA????

For more info, please see my website: www.billhooks.co.uk

Below a few tools bought in French 'brocantes' and 'vide greniers' in 2012...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:30:51 PM by Billman49 »

Offline Jim C.

Re: Billhooks and other misc edge tools
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
Wow!  What a great writeup!  Thanks for the introduction to a tool that I knew so very little about. 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:07:13 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline turnnut

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 01:58:02 PM »
Billman49,    I have a question;

in the picture, bottom row of 3 handled tools,  what is the one on the right used for ?
the prongs look really close together.

nice gathering of tools that you have there.

Frank

Offline Billman49

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »
Hi the two tools either side of the round spade blade are French 'fourches à betterave' i.e. beetroot forks - fitted with a short crutch handle (like a garden spade or fork), they were used to lever beet or turnip out of the ground, primarily for winter feed for sheep or for sugar beet harvesting...

In one of the images (below) are also seen two 'serpes à betterave' -  a type of straight or convex edged and thin bladed billhook used to cut off the tops of the beet (also called here a 'coupe fane')* - yet another billhook variant.....  the beet knife is more common in the USA and the UK..

Like the billhook, there are regional variations in shapes of many tools... the beetroot fork is no exception....

* Fane doesn't translate well into English - we'd use 'greens' or 'tops' - cooked 'fanes à betteraves' are a common side-dish in France....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 03:14:43 AM by Billman49 »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »
Very interesting! Thanks for enlightening us!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline turnnut

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 08:00:31 PM »
thank you for sharing the information, very interesting group of tools.

Frank

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
Billman, someone in a Facebook group that some of us belong to posted a picture of a tool that I thought might be a billhook.

I sent him to your site to see some examples. Someone else replied that it was not a billhook and suggested that it is a hedge slasher. He is also in The UK.
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/slashers.htm

If you are on Facebook, like the page-  ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE TOOLS SOCIETY

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Billman49

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 07:47:33 AM »
This is the head from a 'slasher' - an English version of the US brush axe...

There were lots of regional variations in the shape of the blade...

Offline DM11

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »
Great write up and pic of your billhooks I have one from the UK given to me by a friend.
Hold Fast

David

Offline Billman49

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »
Hi DM11 - with a squarish blade and a round (not caulked) handle I'd say that is a Kent pattern - usually with a single bevel (chisel grind) to the blade - your's is either ground to a double bevel or is a left hand pattern... Does it have a maker's stamp???

Offline DM11

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 02:20:39 PM »
Billman49 it is marked Brades Co. 191.
Hold Fast

David

Offline Billman49

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 03:39:53 PM »
I thought it looked like a Brades - model 191 is a Kent pattern... These image from my archives shows it is usually single bevel (RH) and the first has a replaced handle - your's, with the tapered ferrule, appears original, but well used...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:43:40 PM by Billman49 »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »
Billman that is a great write up.  Have only seen one or two billhooks, at auctions and such.   Was the USMC version aka the Bolo Knife?   In WWI they were issued equipment to the medical corps, and were longer.   Great tool for slashing brush, and putting up improvised shelters fast.   Nice to learn something new at my advanced age.

Offline Billman49

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
The USMC bolo is a form of machete, not a billhook.... also known as the USMC Medical Corpsman Knife - it may well have been issued in WW1 (European & Commonwealth forces and the Japanese (in WW2) all had forms of the billhook) see: http://www.billhooks.co.uk/photos-and-other-images/military-billhooks-1/.

The LC-14-B Has a hooked end like a billhook and was not invented until just before WW2 - it is still in production today under the name Woodsman's Pal - see: http://www.woodmanspal.com/ - unlike the billhook it appears to be best used with a backhand stroke....

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:29:07 PM by Billman49 »

Offline DM11

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 11:40:25 PM »
I thought it looked like a Brades - model 191 is a Kent pattern... These image from my archives shows it is usually single bevel (RH) and the first has a replaced handle - your's, with the tapered ferrule, appears original, but well used...

Thank you for the info Billman!
Hold Fast

David