Author Topic: new topics  (Read 3124 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
new topics
« on: May 08, 2011, 06:53:17 AM »
A couple of questions
When I am typing a message in the quick reply my text goes outside of the margin a few words before it is kicked down to the next line, I cant see or correct what I have typed until I have submitted message, how can I fix this.
Noel, I cant seem to figure out how to P.M you with these questions, used to be able to just click on usersname and send  PM, dont see that any longer
I seem to be having problem making a new topic at times, I press new topic and it will just sit there and load but give up and do nothing, I have had this same problem with my yahoo mail for a couple of weeks, ever since yahoo had a major shutdown about 2 weeks ago maybe. I cant access  my e-mail half the time, I can see that I have mail but I cant see from who, it only says inbox whatever # I have, when I can get to the point that I can see what is there I cant open them half the time, it just keeps loading ( like it does to me here when I tried to type this topic ) and eventually the window goes white and says server error in upper left hand corner. The other times when I can open and read I half the time cant reply does the same server error, when I can reply I sometimes cant attach eiether says server error or internet browser cant find something I dont know....
I have had a guy look at it, he says I have internet explorer 6 which ( in my own words to simplify ) sucks, also says I have some kind of pack version 1 and says I need at least 2 pack or 3, he says I have zero updates since I turned off automatic updates since I know this is how THEY ( its my conspiricy theory of them watching me and screwing with me ) try to control and monitor me. He said alot of other things.
My comp. is only maybe 8 years old, I boughtit new from best buy for over a thousand so it was no cheap comp. It is an HP pavillion 220n.
I tried or did rather do everyting he told me, I downloaded all the updates including the packs he reffered to and no change so I F 10 it and wiped EVERYTHING clean and started all over new, still no results. One other thing I would like to add that will maybe give someone a clue on how I can be helped is that about the same time yahoo started acting up when I went to e-bay and typed inm y search the letters appeared so tiny in the search box I was typing in. That was only on the e-bay site and is still that way, I have no other problems with anything else.
Wy wife had me download Mozilla Forefox and that has not helped a bit, she said that was just another type of internet explorer. Any suggestions, there may come a time when I can post at all ( and that would be a crime against all humanity :)    ) so I would like to have all of this fixed. Thanks
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
Re: new topics
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:08:26 AM »
http://www.newbiesforum.com/phpbb3/
 try here ask for Gerrit
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 07:44:50 AM »
First thing I'll tell you is - don't use "Quick Reply" unless you just want to make a very short reply.
Second, PM is just as easy as on the other software. Just click on the User Name, and you will see the profile-
Under the member's name and avatar you will see Send PM
If you click that you will be able to send me a PM
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 08:06:38 AM »

>there may come a time when I can [not] post at all

I'm surprised you can post now, and see half the web pages for that matter, IE6 is **old** , seriously, turn automatic updates back on, there are more security holes in IE than you can shake a stick at, unless you are downloading updates every 3 days, you aren't keeping your machine safe.

Surfing the net without service pack 2 and 3 installed is downright suicidal!

The tiny text on ebay is browser related, IE6 doesn't like some of the funky code ebay uses...

Some of the things you describe with yahoo mail bother me, they may be just a sign of a lousy internet connection, but they may also typical hints  of a hijacked machine....

Yes, turning updates on means you are a slave to the man, but you are regardless, sorry, you are using windows, you're stuck with it...

And it's better to owe the man that to owe some hackers bot network - P

As an aside, the board seems to be running on a rather busy server, I have been getting timeout errors doing searches, and it's not like there's a ton of content here for it to search, so some of the issues are probably not your machine....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
Thanks for the site Bob and sorry to hear about your loss, dosent do any good to say that but sorry anyway. I see the P.M deal now Noel, thanks and rusty as far as sucidal you might be right but I dont have issues ever with my machine, my wife has a newer Dell, much newer and she has all sorts of condomns on it and she has problems all the time, I have only recently started having problems and just need to figure it out. Thanks though
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.