Author Topic: Champion "S" Wrench  (Read 10763 times)

Offline Twertsy

Re: Champion "S" Wrench
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 05:48:41 PM »
Thanks a lot.
Could be a possibility though 'S' wrenches not shown.

Yeah, I couldn't relocate the one I saw last week.  I'll try again in the morning.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 08:56:35 PM »
the term "textile" sounds like they were also used to adjust the looms in the textile factory.

Offline Mister Ed

• Ve grow to oldt und too late schmart.
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 06:39:55 PM »
Last week while doing research on Cornwell (you guys should check it out under Todd's Research on my site.........their "corporate history" is complete BS!) and looking for more information on the company Eugene Cornwell LEFT Cornwell to form, Titan-Rite of Elmira, NY.  Anyway, I came across an advertisement for these Champion Wrenches by Syracuse Wrench Co.

OK . .  . all of this was posted a long time a go, but there was never a definitive answer. Who made those CHAMPION branded curved wrenches? And here's mine . . .

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2021, 10:02:05 PM »
this is all I have at the moment on "Champion". I haven't gone down this rabbit hole enough times yet, apparently.

Champion / (see Girard) /

Champion / (see Greene Tweed & Co.) (see patent 442569) /

Champion / (see Ithaca Drop Forge Co.)(Bufford Chain Wrench patent 442569) /

Champion / (see Keystone Forge) /

Champion / (see Losee) / patent 864659 /

Champion / (manufactured by New Britain Machine) /

Champion / (see Syracuse Wrench Co.) /

Champion / (see Union Hardware Co.) / (screwdriver) /

Champion / Champion-Arrowhead, 5147 Alhambra Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90032 / sprinkler and irrigation wrenches /

Champion / Champion Blower & Forge Co., Lancaster, PA / taps, dies, screw plates / "Electric" screw plates /

Champion / (Champion Brass see Champion Arrowhead) /

Champion / Champion DeArment / Champion DeArment Co., Meadville, PA / (see also Channellock) / http://alloy-artifacts.org/champion-dearment-tool.html / http://alloy-artifacts.org/champion-dearment-tool.html#history / http://toolarchives.com/index.php/node/96 /

Champion / Champion Mower & Reaper, Springfield, IL /

Champion / Champion Potato Co., Hammond, IN / "OK Champion" /

Champion / Champion Silo Co., Des Moines, IA /

Champion / Champion Tool Co., Meadville, PA /

Champion / Champion Wrench Co., Chicago, IL / patent 1371952 /

Champion * / (see also notes below re: Champion ) /

re: Champion (notes by twertsy)

A. G. Coes & Co. Worchester, MA (Made for Champion Mower & Reaper Co.)
L. Coes & Co. Worchester, MA (Made for Champion Mower & Reaper Co.)
J. Asbury (Birmingham, England) patented 12/22/1869: (GB patent: GB-186903709) http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?pn=186903709&id=53001&set=3
Champion Mower & Reaper Co. (Springfield, IL) // Also made by Whitely, Fassler and Kelly prior to forming the former company
W & B Co. Marked "Champion W&B Co. Pat FEBY 23, 83" (?)
Champion Mfg. Co.
William M. Whitely Co. // Whitely Reaper Works Springfield, OH (wrench for adjusting reapers, marked CHAMPION) (Eventually were consumed by IHC)

==

RE: "textile wrenches"

They were "textile wrenches" because they were used in the textile mills of New England. The looms and other machines in the mills used square nuts, and the 22½° offset on each end apparently lent itself well to their use on the square nuts used on the machinery. The Williams Company made many of them stamped with the names of the textile (or other) mills in which they were used.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2021, 10:10:42 PM »
re: "textile wrench"

also made by Billings:

Offline Mister Ed

• Ve grow to oldt und too late schmart.
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2021, 10:38:37 AM »
Thank you four.cycle for your "hole" effort. I am as diligent and "rabbit" a tool researcher, but my own effort convinces me that the S-curve Champions originated with Syracuse Wrench. I'll scurry back to my hutch now.

Offline leg17

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 12:59:21 PM »
Thank you four.cycle for your "hole" effort. I am as diligent and "rabbit" a tool researcher, but my own effort convinces me that the S-curve Champions originated with Syracuse Wrench. I'll scurry back to my hutch now.

What did you find that identified them as Syracuse?

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 03:44:48 PM »
re: "textile wrench"

also made by Billings:
Here you go, BK. It took me a while to find. I had conversations with Todd about this wrench a few years ago and we agreed that we didn’t actually know much about it. There was just no conclusive evidence that we could find.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline amecks

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2021, 08:43:15 PM »
I stumbled across an article which briefly mentions Champion wrenches.  " Collecting Antique Wrenches A Welcome Diversion
Collector Don Lux likes challenge of collecting antique wrenches" on Farm Collector website.
https://www.farmcollector.com/tools/a-welcome-diversion-collector-likes-challenge-of-wrenches
Here is the relevant part of the article..."He likes his Champion wrenches, too. "Champion was bought by IH. The two I have have 's' curves in them. The reason they made those with the 's' curve is, if you put that on the nut right and the nut broke off quick, your fingers wouldn't get smashed. The knuckles wouldn't get bruised. They were hidden by that 's' curve, and it protected your hand." ".
Not sure of the veracity of this collector's knowledge.  There is a comment about Ferguson plow wrenches having numbers on them so you could stick it in the gas tank to measure the fuel level.  Well, yes, everyone stuck them in the tank (old Fords had the same wrench) but the measurements were there to measure plow depth.  My authority comes from 14 years as a Ford tractor mechanic.  He is wrong but its an understandable error.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 08:24:25 AM »
d42jeep -

really?

you're just messin' with me now, right?

I still have a whole list of stuff to pick through yet, but I posted the updated list at GJ  because I needed to get that out of the way.

I'll revisit "Champion" when I have turned over every other rock on the beach.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2021, 12:13:15 PM »
d42jeep -

really?

you're just messin' with me now, right?

I still have a whole list of stuff to pick through yet, but I posted the updated list at GJ  because I needed to get that out of the way.

I'll revisit "Champion" when I have turned over every other rock on the beach.
I know you like a challenge.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR