Author Topic: My Plierench Collection  (Read 23491 times)

Offline Yadda

Re: My Plierench Collection
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 12:29:49 PM »
Yadda, here is a picture of my 7" Plierench.  It is dated 1942...my birth year also.  It's in decent condition although a previous owner got carried away his wire wheel.

Mike

Nice!  I'm looking for my birth year (1962) and for my Dad's (7/1940).  The 7 inch is much rarer and harder to find with all the jaws.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Yadda

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 12:33:30 PM »
Yadda, that's a pretty impressive collection.   I found exactly one at a flea market, and it came home with me.  Just the standard jaw, of course, but what a useful as well as quirky tool.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!  The jaws often are lost to the annals of time and space. Occassionaly you see them for sale separately.  There was a stash of 10 jaws for sale on the 'bay a few months back.  They were mislabled and I thought I was going to get a deal, until the last day..... then the price took off for parts unknown.  I let someone else own them. 

Offline Yadda

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 12:39:27 PM »
Don't overlook the 2 small stamped screwdrivers.  The one from the UK is sure different.

Good eye Charles!  I have a half dozen or so of the Eifel Multitool and one each of the E-F Angle Scredriver and the Plierench version of the Eifel Multitool (found it on ebay in Australia).

The U.K. version is unique. The jaws are attached with hex bolts so they can be removed. Looks like a set of pliers for Vacuum Hose. I'm hoping someone knows more about it.  I've seen one other just like this one on U.K. ebay.  When the second one came up, I couldn't let it stay in the U. K.  I brought it home.  The seller picked it up in a boot sale so he didn't know anything about it.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »
Hi Yadda, In answer to your question:  the two older ones have angle cut gears, the newer ones, both the 8 1/2" and 7" have the straight gears.

I wasn't aware they had changed back and forth over the years. I'll have to watch for the old ones with the straight gears.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Yadda

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
Hi Yadda, In answer to your question:  the two older ones have angle cut gears, the newer ones, both the 8 1/2" and 7" have the straight gears.

I wasn't aware they had changed back and forth over the years. I'll have to watch for the old ones with the straight gears.

Mike

Everything I've seen since 1933 has the straight gears. 

I have several with the angle gears including a full set with three jaws and the case.  I also have a older set with the straight jaws.   I'll post separate photos later.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 03:30:15 PM »
That is the most Plierwrenche's I've seen in one spot ever. A big thumbs up!
Ratchet Guru

Offline Charles Garrett

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 04:48:45 PM »
The Eifels all were forged not cast.  The 1920 was the first production  and was 8" and had smooth handles.  The straight jaw models before the angle jaw model were  slightly different due  to an anti rattle spring in handles and later straight jaws don't fit well.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »
The Eifels all were forged not cast.  The 1920 was the first production  and was 8" and had smooth handles.  The straight jaw models before the angle jaw model were  slightly different due  to an anti rattle spring in handles and later straight jaws don't fit well.

You are correct.  Forged not cast.  I misspoke.     Those 1920's are like hen's teeth....

Offline Yadda

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »

Thanks bonneyman!

Offline DM11

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »
Glad to see more pics of your Plierench collection Y!

Y is the Plierench man. He has quite a good collection of them.
Hold Fast

David

Offline Yadda

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 11:47:15 AM »
Glad to see more pics of your Plierench collection Y!

Y is the Plierench man. He has quite a good collection of them.

Thanks David! 

Offline Yadda

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 12:11:09 PM »
While researching plierenches on the web I found this ad from Popular Mechanics in 1954.  This ad is for the rare Eifel Geared Pivoting Plierench.  I've only seen photos of two of these.  I've never seen one in the wild.

BTW, just in case you see one, this is one of the big items left on my plierench search list.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:14:33 PM by Yadda »

Offline Yadda

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »
I picked this set up recently on the big auction site.  This is the Masterform Plierench Set with the standard 6 jaws.  This one is missing the pipe jaw V-clip, but I do have one of those.  This one was probably made in the early 70's. I don't believe it was ever used.  There is no wear on any of the jaws that I can see.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »
I have long thought that I once saw a VACO advertisement stating plierenches in two sizes.  Stupid me, I didn't snag a shot of it at the time and wasn't able to find it again.  Today there is success.  This advertisement shows that VACO did produce the Plierench in two sizes.  To date I haven't seen a 7 inch VACO branded plierench.  The search is on for the VACO 7 inch plierench......

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 08:00:12 PM »
Dang, how did I miss this thread earlier? Very impressive collection Lyndon!! Makes my few Eifels look pretty sad by comparison. If I stumble across any pivoting plierenches or 7-inch Vaco's, I will definitely give you the heads up.

EDIT: By the way (and maybe you've told me previously) was there a patent for the pivoting plierench?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:01:48 PM by Plyerman »
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.