Catalog Forum > Catalog Forum

Tate Wire Tool (Strieby & Foote fencing tool)

(1/3) > >>

Plyerman:
I've seen a few of these old fencing tools for sale over the years. Most have been heavily used/abused, and are not in very good shape. Never was tempted to buy one, until I saw this one for sale with the original box (what's left of it) and the instruction brochure.

According to Datamp, this "combination wire-working tool" was patented by Newton J. Tate in 1901, and was produced by the Strieby & Foote Company of Newark, New Jersey. The Strieby & Foote name is cast on the side of the tool, so nowadays that's usually the name given to it.

Surely there cannot be many of these 100+ year old brochures left floating around? Seemed like a good idea to scan and post it here, just in case.

**02-08-2020 RE-POSTED PHOTOS BELOW**

HeelSpur:
Sweet find, that brochure probably worth a lot more than the tool itself.

turnnut:
if you took it to a barbwire meet, they would all be drooling over the brochure.
matter of fact, the 3 pieces that you have.

really a rare find for a 100 + year old brochure in that condition.

Frank

mvwcnews:

--- Quote from: Plyerman on October 05, 2014, 07:02:52 PM ---....

According to Datamp, this "combination wire-working tool" was patented by Newton J. Tate in 1901, and was produced by the Strieby & Foote Company of Newark, New Jersey. The Strieby & Foote name is cast on the side of the tool, so nowadays that's usually the name given to it.

--- End quote ---
I updated both DATAMP entries for the 1901 ( http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=667,854&type= )  & 1904  ( http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=769,879&type= ) Tate patents .
You should go back & put a "watermark" on your images or the snipers will copy & reproduce them.  The text & images from this brochure  appeared in the Sept. 1996 MVWC Newsletter  -- then editor Eloise Alton typed the text out over 3 pages & put the images on a 4th page.

Yadda:
Great find Bob!  Love the brochure.  "pratically used"' what a great phrase.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version