Author Topic: Inside a ratchet: How they work  (Read 225966 times)

Offline FAISAL

Re: Inside a ratchet: How they work
« Reply #240 on: May 07, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »
Dang, FAISAL, those 2 triple plays of Craftsman ratchets are fine indeed! especially the U-circle. outstanding!

I think you have a future in tool restoration. When you get back stateside, you outta advertize. I know alot of guys would love to buy tools done by you.

that is good project Lol , thank you for your support

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #241 on: May 07, 2015, 06:09:34 PM »
Dang, FAISAL, those 2 triple plays of Craftsman ratchets are fine indeed! especially the U-circle. outstanding!

I think you have a future in tool restoration. When you get back stateside, you outta advertize. I know alot of guys would love to buy tools done by you.

that is good project Lol , thank you for your support

Shoot man, your work is outstanding!
People ask me to help with their ratchet problems. I'm gonna start referring them to you. Your workmanship puts mine to shame. :grin:
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »
New ratchet guts to explore.
Herbrand Van-Chrome 1/2", model S-10.  28 teeth on the drive gear, dual tic-toc pawls with the springs mated to the pawl, not free or in the side of the head as most other designs. Very thick pawls, looks stout.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:00:53 PM by bonneyman »
Ratchet Guru

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2015, 10:33:24 AM »
Faisal,  You have done an outstanding job on cleaning those old rats.  If you don't mind sharing, how are you doing it?  Getting the "grunge" off isn't too much of a problem, but getting rid off the rust stains is.  Well done!

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline OkieTools

« Reply #244 on: June 02, 2015, 12:04:26 PM »
Nice Herbrand ratchet there bonneyman. I like that the springs are apart of the pawls very smart idea.
Vintage tools have a story to tell, and I want to hear it.

Offline OkieTools

« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »
I'm with Mike, Faisal I'd like to know too how you get your rats looking so nice. I think we all have an idea on how, and we all have are own way of doing it, but would be interesting to know your process.

Offline FAISAL

« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2015, 06:50:20 AM »
Faisal,  You have done an outstanding job on cleaning those old rats.  If you don't mind sharing, how are you doing it?  Getting the "grunge" off isn't too much of a problem, but getting rid off the rust stains is.  Well done!

Mike
I'm with Mike, Faisal I'd like to know too how you get your rats looking so nice. I think we all have an idea on how, and we all have are own way of doing it, but would be interesting to know your process.

nothing special in my work ,i am using evapo rust with chrome and nickle fish tools but Unfinished tools i am using soft brush wheel to remove the rust 
1-put the tools in paint thinner for one day to remove the old grease and dirt ,then wash them by water and any type of ordinary cleaner like simple green  and wipe them
2-for chrome and nickle finish just keep the tools in evapo rust solution 4 hours or more depend of tools condition and every hour take
the tools out and clean them by plastic brush ,until all the rust is gone
3-When finished, rinse item with water and use wire or plastic brush in the processes
4-Then allow item to air dry buy using any hot air source
5-use TURTLE RUBBING COMPOUND HEAVY DUTY CLEANER TO REMOVES STUBBORN STAINS AND HEAVY OXIDATION TO ACHIEVE A CLEAN, SMOOTH FINISH BY USING SPONGE PAD (MEDIUM GRADE )
6- for the heavy scratched ratchet cover plate you can use sand paper 400,800,1000,1500 in sequence and use polishing compounds by using puffing wheel to remove the scratch and to reach mirror finish or chrome finish
7-Apply light coat of Flitz polish  with soft cloth and  Polish with clean dry cloth
8-and the most important is lots of patience,take your time and Be safe. Don't overload your self by restoring many tools in one time because you you will miss many things

i am going now to restore 3/4" and 1" plomb ratchet and i will use new processes  derusting by electrolysis , i will post the result soon !

thanks

Offline OkieTools

« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
FAISAL Nice process. You have a lot more patience than I do, that is for sure, but the proofs in the pics nice ratchet after nice ratchet. Very worth it. Let us know how the electrolysis goes.

Offline FAISAL

« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2015, 05:24:55 PM »
Vintage Craftsman =V= 3/8" Drive Spinner Speeder Ratchet ,just i I've cleaned  and polish the selctor .i have replaced the gear cover plat  retaining ring becuse it broken while removing

thanks

Offline FAISAL

« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2015, 05:27:53 PM »
these are Craftsman 1/2 ,3/8 and 1/4 -drive quick-release ratchet with a dual-pawl mechanism, stamped with the "Craftsman" double-line logo on the raised panel, with "Forged in U.S.A." and a "-V-" code on the reverse panel.

1/2 length is 10.4 inches, and the finish is chrome plating.
3/8 length is 6.8 inches, and the finish is chrome plating.
1/4 length is 5.2 inches, and the finish is chrome plating.

Offline FAISAL

« Reply #250 on: June 03, 2015, 05:36:24 PM »
this is 1/2-drive Snap-on 71-N ratchet KENOSHA WIS , with "Snap-on U.S.A." in raised letters forged into the shank, and with "Patent No 1854513" forged into the reverse.

The overall length is 9.5 inches, and the finish is polished chrome

Offline OkieTools

« Reply #251 on: June 04, 2015, 12:29:53 AM »
That Craftsman Spinner Speeder Ratchet is so cool, never seen one before. The Snap-on looks really nice after clean up. Good job.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #252 on: June 04, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »
FAISAL, thank you for posting your method of cleaning vintage tools, very interesting information.

everyone has their own method, but as you point out, patience is very critical to doing a good job.

I am also a fan of Evapo-Rust.  for stubborn tools like adjustable wrenches, I like to spray them
with Gibbs, and let set for a few days.

again, thank you, Frank from Massachusetts.

Offline OkieTools

« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2015, 07:55:50 AM »
Got another ratchet video for all of you, it's my Fathers Day gift from my wife and son. A Proto 3/4 Drive 5649BL ratchet. Hope you all enjoy.

https://youtu.be/QC_vThf53TI

Offline FAISAL

« Reply #254 on: June 05, 2015, 07:57:52 AM »
FAISAL, thank you for posting your method of cleaning vintage tools, very interesting information.

everyone has their own method, but as you point out, patience is very critical to doing a good job.

I am also a fan of Evapo-Rust.  for stubborn tools like adjustable wrenches, I like to spray them
with Gibbs, and let set for a few days.

again, thank you, Frank from Massachusetts.

you are most welcome