Author Topic: Plumb, All American, Dreadnaught Axe Head  (Read 8711 times)

lzenglish

Plumb, All American, Dreadnaught Axe Head
« on: May 06, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
As if the subject title was not long enough, I forgot to add it is of the "SB Michigan Pattern"! Lol.
I found this Axe head without a handle, with the plumb logo and price tag still on it. I do not know if it ever had a handle mounted to it, and was probably used as a wedge (slight mushroom on the face). I googled yesteryears tools, and they have a nice history section on plumb axes. It appears to be of the 1980 vintage. My question is how was the tool steel quality at this late time in their history? Or, were they just living off the Plumb name, with a lesser quality tool, as some other companies did? This same Axe is still sold today. Any info. or comments much appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Plumb, All American, Dreadnaught Axe Head
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 03:03:48 PM »
Hey Wayne
  I always wondered how come Michigan was picked on for the plainest pattern ax of all? Not a curve in sight!

You never do cars about  little head 'schroom. What you care is the condition of the eye.  If they hit it so hard the eye is swelled then I wouldn't trust it. 
 The eye looks hinky in the picture. Off center and miss forged? Its just the picture?

Most modern axes are slightly suspect, to me. Probably suitable as an ax really, but plain as a mud fence! They take absolutely no time or care anymore. Well they are going to sell it with a handle for 12 bucks.
   Axes are probably at the lowest price in history, in commercial retail sales. 

Take a file to it.  If it cuts easy, yuck.    If the file barely, barely cuts it will do as an ax. 
  yours Scott

lzenglish

Re: Plumb, All American, Dreadnaught Axe Head
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »
Scott: The picture I took of the eye came out bad, and the eye is in great shape. The number of axe handles I need for all these axes I'm finding are building fast, so maybe I can get a quanity discount? Lol Thanks for all your Information, and I will use your grading tip when I pick the handles out.

Wayne