Author Topic: Stanley nail hammers  (Read 35902 times)

Offline Chuck Stevenson

Re: Stanley nail hammers
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2016, 07:16:33 PM »
New member. I am trying to find when this Stanley 13oz was made. I looked up Stanley logos but no joy.

I hope the pic posted. It was my fathers. 1911-2001, and it is my shop hammer.

Chuck

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 07:22:06 PM »
Welcome to Tool Talk!
Find the Introduction Forum and tell us a bit about yourself and your tool interests.

Can't help on the hammer, but tell me about that corner clamp in your picture. The clamp at top right of the picture frame.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Chuck Stevenson

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 08:04:55 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I will check out the intro thread and fill out my profile soon.

That is a Collins clamp.

http://www.collinstool.com/base.php?page=collins_miter_clamps.htm

Part of a floor inlay.

Chuck

Edit: Sorry for the duplicate pic.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:21:19 PM by Chuck Stevenson »

Offline Yadda

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 10:57:50 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I will check out the intro thread and fill out my profile soon.

That is a Collins clamp.

http://www.collinstool.com/base.php?page=collins_miter_clamps.htm

Part of a floor inlay.

Chuck

Edit: Sorry for the duplicate pic.

I learned something today.  Thanks Chuck!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline jpaz

• Home page
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
I have added a "Atha Hammer General Notes" page at

http://jp29.org/atha.htm

It provides some historical notes relating to the Atha Tool Company and includes  information relating to Atha Blacksmith hammers.

James

Offline jpaz

• Home page
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »
New member. I am trying to find when this Stanley 13oz was made. I looked up Stanley logos but no joy.

I hope the pic posted. It was my fathers. 1911-2001, and it is my shop hammer.

Chuck
Hello Chuck. It looks like a circa. 1950s - 1960s production hammer to me.

James

Offline Chuck Stevenson

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »

Thanks James.
I thought that is an older Stanley logo. The head looks similar to the hammer head in your earlier link.

Chuck

Offline jpaz

• Home page
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »

Thanks James.
I thought that is an older Stanley logo. The head looks similar to the hammer head in your earlier link.

Chuck
You are welcome, Chuck. If it was a pre-WW2 manufactured hammer it would bear a yellow Stanley-Atha decal.

James

Offline Chuck Stevenson

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
Thanks James.

Offline Nasutushenri

• Bussum, The Netherlands
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2016, 10:06:51 AM »

It provides some historical notes relating to the Atha Tool Company and includes  information relating to Atha Blacksmith hammers.

James

Very interesting page.

Have a rather different ATHA hammer (1lb. 3 oz.) with trademark stamp style 4 on head RIGHT cheek and J.ROSE CAST STEEL stamped on LEFT cheek.

Recently on eBay was a hatchet with the same J.ROSE stamp, but no further information was given.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-J-ROSE-Axe-Hatchet-Very-Old-Patinalate-late-1800s-/112089878840?rmvSB=true&clk_rvr_id=1103183739231&nma=true&si=h%252FNyqmTfoASCUoVsb1UU3h2vdvk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So my question is who was J.ROSE ?

Henri
Do not mind my bad English.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/100761653@N07/

Offline jpaz

• Home page
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 11:34:38 AM »

James

Very interesting page.

Have a rather different ATHA hammer (1lb. 3 oz.) with trademark stamp style 4 on head RIGHT cheek and J.ROSE CAST STEEL stamped on LEFT cheek.

Recently on eBay was a hatchet with the same J.ROSE stamp, but no further information was given.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-J-ROSE-Axe-Hatchet-Very-Old-Patinalate-late-1800s-/112089878840?rmvSB=true&clk_rvr_id=1103183739231&nma=true&si=h%252FNyqmTfoASCUoVsb1UU3h2vdvk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Henri
Thank you for that very interesting post, Henri. I do not know who J. ROSE was.

James

Offline Nasutushenri

• Bussum, The Netherlands
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2016, 07:58:45 AM »

Very interesting page.

Henri
Thank you for that very interesting post, Henri. I do not know who J. ROSE was.

James

Thanks, James for answering. Unfortunately the J.ROSE-mistery remains.

Henri
Do not mind my bad English.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/100761653@N07/

Offline TCDA

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2021, 10:18:09 AM »
Hello folks, I stumbled across this forum specifically looking for more information on dating Stanley claw hammers. I notice the information posted by the original author, jpaz, suggests there might have been photos accompanying the wealth of knowledge he shared. It also appears he had a website expanding on his original post. Both the photos and his website aren't available. I'm hoping maybe someone saved the photos along with his original post? Thanks for your time!

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2021, 05:13:27 PM »

THE ATHA TOOL CO. AND ATHA NAIL HAMMERS

The Atha Tool Co. - located in Newark, New Jersey - was founded in 1884. The Company manufactured and supplied to the blacksmith, railroad maintenance, farrier, automotive repair, machinist, bricklayer, stone cutter and various woodworking trades a wide range of metal and woodworking hand tools - hammers, cold chisels, punches, anvil inserts, sledges, tongs, wedges, forming tools, hatchets, et al. The company established an enviable reputation for design excellence and superior quality and their tools were in great demand especially by blacksmiths. The Atha Tool company - along with their entire line of tools - was acquired by Stanley in 1913, a tremendous addition to the latter company's tool offerings. It appears that at first the Atha Tool company operated independently from the Stanley company and separate catalogs were issued bearing their name. However, in the 1920s Atha tools were gradually incorporated into the Stanley catalogs and the tools were identified as Stanley-Atha throughout the 1920s and 1930s.

Atha nail hammers produced prior to the 1913 Stanley acquisition are stamped on the left cheek of the nicely finished and polished heads with the company logo - an upside down horseshoe with a capital letter A in the center. These Atha nail hammers featured lacquer finished straight grain light colored hickory handles as did subsequent Stanley-Atha hammers.

Atha nail hammer circa. 1900

Atha logo stamped on left cheek of hammer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STANLEY-ATHA NAIL HAMMERS - 1920s TO PRE-WWII 1940s

There was a bewildering succession of model designations and numbering systems - including numerous prefixes and suffixes - for these hammers that was constantly changing during their early production life so I will keep the designations here quite general. The entire numbering system was changed in 1933.

All Stanley-Atha hammers were stamped on the left cheek of the head with the familiar STANLEY within a cartouche logo - sometimes MADE IN USA stamping was appended although this was inconsistent. This variance is also found in catalog illustrations although it should be noted that those illustrations do not always depict actual production tools. There was no Atha stamping on Stanley-Atha hammer heads. Informational decals were affixed to the handles of all new Stanley-Atha hammers - and they are very important identifiers that should be preserved at all cost - even fragments of them - for it is the only way to positively identify Stanley-Atha hammers! Handles were of straight grained hickory and were lacquer finished. The factory applied handle decals soon wore off with use, but the presence of even scant remnants is testament to the originality of handles. The model number, configuration and head weight were often stamped in black ink on the end of the handle - invaluable information all to often lost due to hammer usage. The presence of the distinctive Stanley factory head securing wedges is a good indicator of originality.

Decal that was affixed to the handle of all Stanley-Atha nail hammers
Note the Atha Tool Co. logo on the left

Typical Stanley-Atha nail hammer showing placement of decal on handle

STANLEY in cartouche stamped on left cheek of hammer head

Model designation (41½) and head weight (16oz) stamped in black ink
on the end of the handle

Stanley-Atha tack hammers were sometimes employed by wood workers for fine finishing work including installation of leather or fabric coverings. I have included one here in order to illustrate various Stanley-Atha hammer features.

Typical Stanley-Atha tack hammer showing placement of decal on handle

The factory applied handle decals soon wore off with use, but the
presence of even scant remnants (as here) is an important identifier

STANLEY with MADE IN USA stamped on left cheek of hammer head

Model number (601) stamped in black ink on the end of the

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STANLEY NAIL HAMMERS - POST WWII 1940s TO THE 1950s

Post-WWII Stanley nail hammers bore different handle decals than the pre-war Stanley-Atha hammers. The first ones following the end of the war and until circa. 1950 were orange colored and bore a small Atha Tool Company logo on the right

All post-WWII Stanley nail Hammers were designated as such in the Tool catalogs and sales literature - there were no longer any Stanley-Atha references. The familiar STANLEY within a cartouche logo continued to be stamped on the left cheek of the head with MADE IN USA sometimes appended, although this was inconsistent as was a model number, configuration and head weight stamping.

Stampings

Example of a typical head stamping:

(on left cheek of head)
STANLEY
(in cartouche)
No. 51½ 16-OZ
# 5 configuration: bell face - round black neck - polished round poll
W/L code 1½: Head weight: 16 oz. - Overall length: 13"

It seems that Stanley changed the style and form of the stampings from time to time. There are variances similar to those found on Stanley wood chisels. I have encountered hammers of this period with only STANLEY (in cartouche) or STANLEY (in cartouche) with MADE IN USA underneath. These variances can also be found in catalog illustrations although it should be noted that those illustrations do not always depict actual production tools.

Decals

Decals, which sometimes included information relating to features and configuration, were affixed to the handles of new hammers - and sometimes to the right cheek of the head - at the factory.

Handles

Handles were of straight grained hickory and were lacquer finished. The factory applied handle decals soon wore off with use, but the presence of even scant remnants is testament to the originality of handles. The model No. configuration and head weight were usually stamped in black ink on the end of the handle - invaluable information all to often lost due to hammer usage. The presence of the distinctive Stanley factory head securing wedges is a good indicator of originality.

Remnant of label on handle:

Ink stamping on end of handle:

Depictions of original Stanley factory head securing wedges:

Claw Types

Curved Claw Nail Hammer

Ripping Claw Nail Hammer

There was also a "semi-ripping" style offered that had slightly more curvature than the standard Ripping Claw depicted.

Stanley Nail Hammer Configurations

1 ..... bell face - round ribbed neck and poll - highly polished - 100 Plus
    2 ..... same as 1 except ripping claw instead of curved - 100 Plus
    3 ..... bell face - octagon black neck - octagon poll - highly polished
    4 ..... plain face - plain neck - highly finished
    5 ..... bell face - round black neck - polished round poll
    9 ..... plain face - plain neck
    10 ... bell face - round black neck with polished ribs - polished round poll

Those models described as having black (enamel paint) necks inevitably came with the tops and bottoms of the heads and the backs of the claws also painted black. The paint on the necks in particular often gradually wore off with heavy use and in consequence was sometimes sanded off entirely by users for a better appearance. "100 PLUS" hammers were described in some 1930s catalogs as having "orange enamel painted head ribs", however, I have only encountered red painted ribs.

Stanley Nail Hammer head weight and overall length (W/L) codes

0 ............. 28 oz. ........... 15"
    1 ............. 20 oz. ........... 13½"
    1½ ......... 16 oz. ........... 13"
    2 ............. 13 oz. ........... 13"
    2½ ......... 10 oz. ........... 12½"
    3 ................ 7 oz. ........... 12"
    4 ................ 5 oz. ........... 12"

Weight is of the head only -- length is overall (top of head to bottom of handle).

EXEMPLAR STANLEY NAIL HAMMERS OF THIS PERIOD

100 PLUS

1 SERIES: bell face - round ribbed neck and poll - highly polished

2 SERIES: same as 1 SERIES except ripping claw instead of curved

No. 100 plus 11½
# 1 configuration: bell face - octagon neck and poll- highly polished
W/L code 1½: Head weight: 16 oz - Overall length: 13"
white lacquered hickory handle with octagon neck.

No. 100 plus 11½
# 1 configuration: bell face - octagon neck and poll- highly polished

The handle on this specimen has been replaced at some time in its working life.

"100 plus" series hammers were designated "the Aristocrats" of Nail Hammers by Stanley.

4 SERIES: plain face - plain neck - highly finished

No. 43
# 4 configuration: plain face - plain neck - highly finished
W/L code 3: Head weight: 7 oz - Overall length: 12"

5 SERIES: bell face - round black neck - polished round poll

[/img]http://jp29.org/stanhammer26.jpg[/img]
No. 51½

No. 53
W/L code 3: Head weight: 7 oz - Overall length: 12"

Series 5 Stanley Nail Hammers - with the 51½ (16 oz) leading the way - were the most popular and best selling models. They were always featured on the first hammer page in the main Stanley Tools Catalogs.

10 SERIES: bell face - round black neck with polished ribs - polished round poll

No. 101
# 10 configuration: bell face - round black neck with polished ribs - polished round poll
W/L code 1: Head weight: 20 oz - Overall length: 13½"

James

My Vintage Woodworking Hand Tools pages

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:18:15 PM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Mike H

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2021, 06:14:09 AM »
Is anyone else having trouble seeing the pics in the OP?
Also, when I click one of the links I go to a
reverse phone number lookup page??!
Maybe it's time I get rid of this Chrome browser.