Author Topic: An Expedient Tool Room aka Life is Short  (Read 19402 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Re: An Expedient Tool Room aka Life is Short
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »
Bus,

Your offer was too generous according to existing market prices. 

Bob

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 12:55:47 AM »
PLEASE don't take those wrenches to a scrap yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   You're choosing to throw away history if you "crush" those implements. I'm with Wayne.... don't take 500 pounds of tools to the scrap yard!  cheers, bird

Displays are on pegboards, and lesser wrenches get taken off and placed in one of the storage boxes when a better wrench comes along.  I now have more than a quarter ton of taken-down wrenches in storage boxes wrenches which are destined to go soon to a metal scrapyard.

Beautiful Collection Bob, and Pleanty of it! I hope you are not serious about taking 500 pounds of old collectable wrenches to the scrapyard, or did I read that wrong?

Wayne
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 02:46:27 PM »
Wayne,

You read it right!.  And as far as crushing wrenches not to worry, the local scrapyard chips ferrous materials.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:16:51 PM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline v8garage

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »
I wish you were a lot closer. If you were I would be glad to give you at least twice scrap price for them.
V/8

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 08:00:07 AM »
Ha, loved the pictures guys! Well done!

Offline kxxr

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »
I heard somewhere that for every tool you send to the scrapyard you get a black spot on your heart. I don't know if that is true or not, but why chance it?

Offline v8garage

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 08:17:57 PM »
That  is true but its ok if they are Chinese tools.
V/8

Offline rusty

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »
Naw, take them to the scrap yard. Take heaps and heaps of them to the scrap yard.
The nice fellow at the scrap yard puts them in a bucket and sells them to me at the flea market for .25 ea ; P

You would be amazed at the things people scrap....

or , perhaps not...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:34:14 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline ToolsorDie

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 10:39:05 AM »
Its a crime to sell them to a scrap yard! Punishable by years of regret down the road, don't ask me how I know this.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
Its a crime to sell them to a scrap yard! Punishable by years of regret down the road, don't ask me how I know this.

yep, I agree, the Chinese tools are in a different category. But, as ToolsorDie said, those tools discarded are punishable by years of regret down the road..... don't ever through away good tools  (NOT those Chinese/ Japanese?ect. tools).  PLEASE don't ever scrap those tools. There are plenty of us persons that would be happy to pay you the "scrap metal" price plus shipping.  Please don't let those tools go to waste.
      Believe it or not, but some of those tools may have literally built this countries infrastructure.  Please don't let those tools go by the wayside. Let one of us know before you send them to a scrap yard.  I'm sure you've already heard this from a number of persons. I hope all is well. I hope you will respect the history tools are a part of of.
cheers, bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »
Do all wrench collectors "speak with forked tongue" or is it just the ones on this post?  I have had an ad for 12 wrenches running since August 30 and 74 viewers have looked. These wrenches came from the boxful of excess tools that I keep.  They are not priceless rarities. They are fairly common wrenches, though not oriental junk, most are 75 or 100 years old, but no takers at $20, so I dropped to $15 and still no takers. I am getting close to taking the Wrenchmensch approach. Whoever posted "NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY" has not tried to work in my shop or find anything in my storage trailer. Let's see a show of hands.  How many of you are among the 74 viewers.        There, see, shame on you for beating up Wrenchmench.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
I think we are under the impression that Wrenchmensch's wrenches are top of the line ones judging by the ones he has posted here. A serious collector for certain.
I have looked at your sale posts, but either have or don't need any you have posted. I have too many wrenches myself, but am not going to scrap any of them.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 10:21:47 AM »
OK, Papaw, anyone who expends the time and energy to referee this marvelous blog gets a "get out of shame free" card.  Only 73 viewers need be ashamed.

The question remains. What to do with great piles of excess, not valuable, but old wrenches when you run out of room, energy to keep moving them or both.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline ToolsorDie

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 10:39:43 AM »

The question remains. What to do with great piles of excess, not valuable, but old wrenches when you run out of room, energy to keep moving them or both.

Maybe offer them for free if the recipient pays shipping and a small fee for packaging, better than the scrap yard getting them.

Offline benjy

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »
about twice a year i end up with a steel toolbox full of old rusty and worthless (to me ) spanners and adjustables.
one mention of free old tools in my local pub and one of the farming boys have bought me and pint of beer and become the boxes new owner,
TOOL TALK MEMBER OF THE MONTH April 2012