Author Topic: Unknown plyer  (Read 2958 times)

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
Unknown plyer
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »
I picked these up at a garage sale, look to be well made but no markings. Strange... smooth jaws that pinch only at the end and an unusual hump on one side. Handles are not symetrical, I suspect ment to be used for prying in only one direction.  About 8 - 3/4" long.

Joe B

Offline rusty

Re: Unknown plyer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:09:45 PM »
They are for cutting glass...

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:32:32 PM »
If I remember right they are called grozing pliers, you chip away small amounts of glass along an edge then grind to smooth. for art / stained glass work. been almost 30 years since I took that class.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:47:03 PM »
Thanks guys, that makes sense. Having done a little stained glass work way way back, I can see how they would be used. I guess that the hump on the one jaw might be used to rap a glass piece after scoring with a cutter.

Joe B

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:57:43 PM »
How I remember to use them is the hump is on the lower side and you always break glass down. I did what the teacher told me. The only guy in class, cut myself the only one again, slowest person in class... till we got to soldering. She said that was faster than anyone she knew, then I said I did both sides too! she like to have fainted.... made my own solder set, iron and light dimmer and a indicator lamp, worked good. Solder and flux were common plumbing items, clean flux solder. Getting the proper edge to match the lead came was a little luck!
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:10:33 AM »
How I remember to use them is the hump is on the lower side and you always break glass down. I did what the teacher told me.

That's correct, hump side down and break with a down stroke.   Got a couple of these and have been using them since my teens.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:59:35 AM »
Those are breaking pliers.  Grozing pliers are flat across the tip, which is about 3/8" wide, and arced along the top jaw. Depending on which side is up, you can direct the fracture. 

Grozing:

Breaking:

I like this kind that has the stop bolt.  Breaking pliers are used to break along a cut line.  Especially good on small pieces.

Chilly

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »
The OP pliers are Plate pliers, they are a little different than braking pliers. Yes, the hump goes down, it can be used as a lever against the table for heavy plate to break *up* at the score mark, which is *down* on the plier handle.

Breaking pliers are more freeform , they are used off the edge of the table, or in large holes. Right angle breaking pliers are for small holes. Grousing pliers are for very small cuts where you can not cleanly break the glass into 2 pieces because the second piece is too thin, or where you are making irregular cuts (like stained glass, which is rarely made from square cut pieces) or where you need to chip small pieces off the egde because you barfed up and cut the glass just a tiny bit too big;P

Because breakers and plates are so similar, they are sometimes used for each others actual intended purpose. Both have oversized openings in the jaw, they are designed to start the crack in the glass by squeezing the tips of the pliers at the score mark*, which stresses the glass, thus, pliers with a 1/2 space between the jaws are not for 1/2 thick glass as you might think, but for thinner glass....

*Actully, just a touch behind it, for some reason

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 07:35:38 AM »
You guys are GOOD!  Thanks

Joe B

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:44:02 AM »
Those are breaking pliers.  Grozing pliers are flat across the tip, which is about 3/8" wide, and arced along the top jaw. Depending on which side is up, you can direct the fracture. 

I have and use both.