Author Topic: P&C Hand Forged Tools history website  (Read 24041 times)

Offline J.Johnson

Re: P&C Hand Forged Tools history website
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
Just wanted to update the website URL. I've done that in the initial post for this thread. The website is now pnctools.com. Should give the site a little more visibility and definitely makes it shorter and easier to remember.

Hope to be adding a 1930 catalog and draft versions of catalogs for 1931, 32 and 33 in the next few months. Also will be completing the last chapter "P&C under Plomb - Proto" in the next month or so.

As always, if anyone has found some historical photos, catalogs, or additional information over the winter, I would love to see them for possible inclusion in the website.

Thanks!

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 01:43:19 PM »
Good work! I enjoyed looking through it again.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 01:51:48 PM »
Really nice work. You have done a fine job.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 08:39:30 PM »
I am impressed with your effort. I have been picking up P&C tools for the last 40 years. I presently have over 400 items and growing. I don't consider myself a collector of P&C tools, i just keep finding them. I live in Vancouver Washington right across the river from Portland Oregon. There is a lot of P&C tools here to be had due to the once nearby factory. One socket i find interesting is a Proto socket that has a P&C ink stamped mark on it. keep up the good work because a lot of us have been seeking information on P&C tools and their connection with Plomb and Proto.

EvilDr235

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
Thanks for putting up an excellent site!!  I especially like the catalogs.  You can never have have too much good information.

While I don't collect P & C specifically, I did find a nice P & C marked 2 oz. ball peen hammer.  It was a nice addition to our small hammer collection.  I really don't see much of their stuff here in Florida.  We're kind of a long way from Oregon.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline J.Johnson

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 11:04:19 AM »
Thanks for all your kind comments.   I have put a lot of effort into the website so I'm happy when collectors are appreciative.  The intended audience is us...collectors and lovers of old tools.  Which is why I continue to try and dig up the old P&C catalogs to add.  As people learn about the tools it gives them more meaning.

I will pop in with another post when I have the Plomb - Proto page added.

Offline J.Johnson

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »
Recently I called the museum in Milwaukie, Oregon to ask about the possibility of scanning some of the P&C photographs displayed in the museum for use on the website.  The result of the conversation was being asked to speak at their monthly historical meeting. I accepted and will be speaking regarding the P&C website on April 14th.  I will be taking digital copies and printed photographs of some of the pictures used on the website and hoping they will allow me to scan some of theirs while I'm visiting.  Hoping for a little quid pro quo.

This will delay publishing the P&C under Proto page until after that meeting.  Keep your fingers crossed that they will allow me to play with the laptop and scanner I will be bringing.

Meantime, I've added a blog update and I've also added another main menu topic called "Extras".  Under that heading I've started a miscellaneous download section by adding a P&C employee handbook from around 1967 as well as an employee newsletter called "Forgings", which is from September of 1957. Both are interesting reading but the foreword of the employee handbook by the P&C president, will flare up the old debate regarding P&C possibly using Ford axles as a source of their tool steel.  :)

I have another source document regarding the axle issue (possibly an anti-axle position?...or at least in addition to), which I will post later when I have an opportunity to do a big scan.

Jerry

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 06:52:13 PM »
P&C possibly using Ford axles as a source of their tool steel.

Proto was founded in 1907 in Los Angeles, CA by Alphonso Plomb, Jacob Weninger, and Charles Williams as PLOMB To​ols. They began making punches and chisels from Model T axles. In 1917, John Pendelton became a partner, and his son Morris Pendelton became the General Manager in 1922.
Above is from- http://www.protoindustrial.com/en/about/Pages/History.aspx

Offline J.Johnson

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »
Thanks Papaw!  I've read that Proto website before, so I knew Proto was claiming that early on they used Ford axles.  I've also read comments on some forum somewhere about someone's Grandmother working at P&C during the war years and using Ford axles.  Then there is the document I just posted on the website.

My personal take....my humble opinion...is that John & Charlie used Ford axles at their blacksmith shop/garage in McCall, Idaho when they first started making tools for themselves and others.  Once they started the factory in Milwaukie...in the early years...there is evidence they were importing steel from Sweden.  But maybe they did both from time to time.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 08:33:56 PM »
It was certainly A Plomb that used Ford axles, but probably not Proto themselves.

Offline J.Johnson

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
Just wanted to update everyone.

Recently added items to the website include:

1.  New page that covers history of the P&C factory from 1941 to 1990.
2.  New picture of the original old building with either John or Charlie's model T parked in front (found at the top of the page entitled "P&C Factory: John & Charlie".
3.  P&C sales brochure geared towards retail stores found under "Extras".
4. Tweaked the website to make it easier to browse from cell phone or tablet.

Planned future additions include:
1.  Tool page....guidelines for dating P&C tools as well as pictures of interesting tools, etc.
2.  Page called "Keith's Page" about one family who had a lot of combined years working at P&C.
3.  Adding more catalogs including recently acquired 1930, 1931-33 and 1949.
4.  Other odds & ends.

Jerry