Author Topic: Anybody seen one of these before?  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
Anybody seen one of these before?
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:24:26 AM »
Among the tools in the upcoming Wrenching News Auction. It's 7.5" long. The only marks are "42" "S" and a "S+" logo.
Pouch is marked: "J. Nuesch Sattler - Heerbrugg". I presume they were the maker of the  pouch.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Anybody seen one of these before?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:44:04 AM »
J. Nuesch Sattler - Heerbrugg - Swiss maker of pouches, etc- WWII

Never seen that wrench.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:00:08 AM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 07:29:02 AM »
possible hydrant tool?
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:47:26 AM »
Maybe a tank snow knocker!

Offline amecks

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:49:52 AM »
The German word sattler translates to saddler in English.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »
The tool looks simular to a firemans gas shut off tool. But, I have never seen that particular pattern.

Bill D.

Offline RWalters

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 01:00:11 PM »
Random thoughts.... looks like it was meant to go in that pouch - so it's most likely Swiss in origin, looks like a black phosphate finish and marked with part numbers and no manufacturer's name - that makes me think it's military or at least government service (possibly fire or rescue), the pouch is leather, not nylon - so it's got some age on it. My first thought was maybe some sort of crash rescue tool, but it seems awfully small for that. Small for a hydrant wrench too, for that matter. So my guess would be some sort of armorer or gunner's combination tool. There's lots of pictures out there of combination tools used with various mortars and heavy weapons, but I couldn't find one that looked like this. But if it's Swiss - being a neutral nation, there isn't the amount of interest in or information about their equipment out there that there is for more belligerent nations. Just my thoughts.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 01:24:17 AM »
It isn't for fire hydrants, but it could be for hose valves.  They have square nuts, and they are in two sizes of outlet 1-1/2" & 2-1/2". I think a compact safety tool. The point could be for breaking glass.  What is on the bottom, it doesn't look like a flat blade.  Could it be for an access panel? 

2nd guess is specialty tool for some sort of mobile equipment.

Chilly
(And its good to be back here)

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 05:37:48 AM »
It isn't for fire hydrants, but it could be for hose valves.  They have square nuts, and they are in two sizes of outlet 1-1/2" & 2-1/2". I think a compact safety tool. The point could be for breaking glass.  What is on the bottom, it doesn't look like a flat blade.  Could it be for an access panel? 
Chilly

That is probably it or close to it. Here's pics of the end:

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 09:06:18 PM »
It is a hufeisen stollen schraubenschlüssel of course. Or, translated from German, it's a horseshoe cleat wrench.

The germans used lots of horse drawn transport in both world wars, and in the winter months outfitted the horses with studded shoes.

The hook on one side of the head is a hoof pick. The pointy drill at the end is for cleaning crud out of the holes before you install the studs. The smaller square hole is for tightening the stud itself of course. And the bigger wrench opening? It is for grabbing hold of the horseshoe while you use a second tool to tighten the stud.

Here is a picture of a different pair of wrenches being used, but the application is the same:

My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 09:24:45 PM »
Well done Plyerman!

Kijiji King

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 11:25:47 PM »
Thanks Plyerman! I will add that to the auction listing. did you know what it was or did you find it on the web?

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 07:28:35 AM »
Both actually. Funny thing, just last week I bought this odd little wrench with what appeared to be a folding tap in the handle. Nobody seemed to know what it was for. So on a hunch, I started looking on the web for horseshoe wrenches. Wasn't sure what the name of them were at first. Then when I translated "Horseshoe Cleat Wrench" to German and did a search, I found plenty of info. Translated to French and there is even more.

The first picture is the wrench I bought. All the other ones are pictures I copied and saved during my searches. There's a bunch of different styles, but they all do pretty much the same thing.

My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Branson

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 07:55:11 AM »
Since odd farrier's tools have made their appearance here, I'll repeat a question I asked some time ago.  I'm still assembling the tool kit for the mountain howitzer -- the muzzle loading one.  One of the tools is a toe knife.  I know what toe knives usually look like, but the one in the Ordnance Dept drawings show no handle.  All that can be seen is that it's about an inch and a half wide, seven inches long, and a quarter of an inch thick.  The drawings have no definition of the finer points, seeming to show a flat bar of steel for the tool.  Was one end relieved so you could hold it.  Was it sharpened all the way from one end to the other?  I can't  imagine finding an original, and will have to make one myself, so I have to figure out what it should look like.

Offline RWalters

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »
Horses, of course! The pointed end troubled me. If it was a gunner' s tool, as I speculated, why the point? Now it makes sense. Excellent work by Plyerman. Regarding the use of horse transport by the Germans, I recall a book I read some time ago about Stalingrad. The author referenced a letter written by Paulus in which he says that even if his orders allowed him to withdraw from Stalingrad, he didn't think he could, as they had long since lost their motorized transport and they'd eaten nearly all the horses.