Author Topic: BOOK OF ANTIQUE AND UNUSUAL WRENCHES BY SCHULZ'S  (Read 12484 times)

Offline Carl Wagner

BOOK OF ANTIQUE AND UNUSUAL WRENCHES BY SCHULZ'S
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
Where can I get a copy of this book for a decent price? $175 on ebay is more than I'm willing to spend. By a lot. Someone help a brother out...... CW
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: BOOK OF ANTIQUE AND UNUSUAL WRENCHES BY SCHULZ'S
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:49:25 PM »
Long out of print and very sought after. You might ask Bus Haury if he can produce one. Stan's son Stan is a member here as   mvwcnews.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:45:38 PM »
The last copy I saw for sale was in the Friesen auction last November -- I had to work that day so do not know what it brought or who bought it.

Martin Donnelly typically "buries" used copies in multi-book lots on his auctions .. I have not seen one in a Donnelly sale for a year or so but I don't look through those sales exhaustively.

My personal copy is very marked up, with error corrections & additional information .  All  those additions and corrections are a major reason I did not keep reprinting it after mom decided she was getting too old to handle sales and so we let it go out of print.

I've put substantial "update" activity into items in the MVWC newsletters, and in the wrench patents I've added to DATAMP.   

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:49:10 PM »
Id like to have one just for reference. And to gain a little more knowledge on these type wrenchs. Id take a copy in any condition. Thanks for the input guys. CW

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 07:33:30 PM »
I have one to list (hopefully in the next couple days) in The Spring Wrenching News Auction Catalog.

Will let you know the lot number when I get it listed.

http://wrenchingnews.com/2014-york-auction/catalog.html

Offline turnnut

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »
Carl, keep an eye on the info from Bus.

I saw the one you were talkink about for 175,   there is another for one ninety something.
I saw one sell recently for $75

in Nov. 2009  I sold a few duplicates that I picked up.

Shulz's $71
Larry Finch 1983  for $14.25
Shockley's wrench patents #1   $32.59
Shockley's wrench patents # 2  $32.59

the reason that I had duplicates is that I found Shockley's #3   but I had to take all five books,
after selling the 4 books, my #3 cost me nothing.

good luck on the one that Bus is listing. 

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 10:44:13 PM »
Got the Schulz Book listed. It's lot No. 980.

Link to the catalog:
http://wrenchingnews.com/2014-york-auction/catalog.html

Link to all photos on one page:
http://wrenchingnews.com/2014-york-auction/all-pics-one-page.html

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:49:48 PM »
Thanks Bus. I can't make the auction but I'm hoping to have my ole buddy Dan the Rustcollector bid on my behalf on a few things. Namely this book and the Sechler cutout buggy wrench.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 10:58:55 PM »
Thanks Bus. I can't make the auction but I'm hoping to have my ole buddy Dan the Rustcollector bid on my behalf on a few things. Namely this book and the Sechler cutout buggy wrench.

Yeah, I'll be nice and only charge him his Auburn Harvester wrench for doing so.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 08:39:25 PM »
Hi Bus,  I have the seven books that you are showing,  I had been wearing out my Schulz book
until I received all 3 Don Shockley's books.  the 3rd issue took longer to get.
I have 2 Wullweber's & 1 ???  Larry ? Fink ??   I think thats the name.

I am just getting togrther my MVWC newsletters into vinal sleeves, 1982 to present.
it is taking longer that I thought, but this weather gives me motivation for inside chores.

thanks for what you do also. Frank

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:24:46 PM »
turnnut - I know what you mean about putting he Newsletters in sleeves. It takes a while when you haven't kept up with the back issues. Now I try to to it every quarter when it comes out..

I think Fink should be Larry Finch "Antique Wrenches published in 1983. I have that one also. He was from Ottawa Ks and they just sold his wrenches this last Fall in Ottawa. I called him when I first found his book around 1994 and he told me then he wasn't really actively collecting anymore.

Wullweber wrote four books before the Schulz book came out. I am missing one titled "Northern Plains Antique Wrenches & Tools Supplement 1977"

Shockley's Volume Three is hard to find. Mr. Shockley died about the same time it was published.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »
I received the Finch book today. It's nice, but clearly early on in wrench collecting, and pretty well outdated now. Still glad I have it though.
I'm watching a book on fruit jar wrenches now, wonder if it's worth buying? Sort of out of my area of collecting, but may be a book worth having in the library? Anybody have it and can give any feedback on it?

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 08:48:07 PM »
If it's "Collectors Manual to Fruit Jar Wrenches & other Canning Collectibles"  (that's the only one I've ever seen & I had to borrow it on Interlibrary Loan) -- it represented the compiler's personal knowledge at the time.
Your post prompted me to dig out the photocopy I made -- if you are interested in canning jar wrenches it could be helpful.  It includes some patents, photos of packaging, etc.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 06:31:45 AM »
Stan, it was this one here....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171269297138?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just bought a copy cheaper on Amazon though. It may be of no use to me, but may help identify something I run into further down the road too. I figure you can never have enough reference material to turn to. While the internet is great, an actual paper book in hand is always better.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 07:26:27 AM »
I am kind of surprised that no one has taken David Maher's approach to the problem. How hard would it be to scan these out of print books and put them on a cd. I don't know what kind of copyright issues you would run into. It would seem like they would fetch a decent price, like Dave's, but it seems wrong to have more money invested in reference books than in wrenches.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan