Author Topic: Williams No. 404 Deep throat C Clamp Drop forged  (Read 4298 times)

Offline basementgirl

Williams No. 404 Deep throat C Clamp Drop forged
« on: January 01, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »
Either this heavy C-clamp is my grandfather's (died 1968) or my father's (died 1985).   It was pure rust.  I soaked it in white vinegar for a week, washed thoroughly brushed Marvel Myster Oil on it over night and baked in 325 degree oven for 35 minutes.  Rust is gone.  Anyone tell me what it's value is or the types of jobs this was used on.  Thank you.   Linda 

Online international3414

• Contributor
Re: Williams No. 404 Deep throat C Clamp Drop forged
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »
clamps are easy to sell in good condition,value unknown
i would have baked at 400 for 40 minutes,would be more tender....sorry,couldn't help myself!

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 06:28:29 PM »
A large utilitarian clamp like that is of no great value in general, unless it is from a famous maker or designed for a specific job or machine.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
Generally for holding things together, whatever that may be. Lots of things that it can hold together. That same design is still used today.

Clamps like that are all so common. Unfortunately the used sale price wont even fill up a used gas can. You probably have more sentimental value then monetary value.

None the less its a cool piece to have.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline leg17

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
girl
There are C-clamps and then there are C-clamps.
Your forged Williams in good shape is worth about $10 or a little more.
Check eBay.
Its a good clamp.
There is a lot of junk clamps around.
A general purpose clamp usually not used in wood work but in mechanical work of all sorts.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 03:27:30 AM »
Those c-clamps hold anything together.  I use one like that to compress my disc brake caliper when changing brake pads. I swear I have to change my pads every 15000 to 20000 miles. My son can do my back brakes in 15 minutes, on the ground.

I would not use the price that people hope to get on ebay as any indication of value.  The sold for prices are better.  Ebay is full of amateurs.  The other problem is fees/ shipping.

Your clamp is a nicer one with the winged set screw. On Worthipedia only one similar sold in a group. It didn't pull in $10.00.  Other similar clamps that I think are not as nice as yours sold for $2.50 to $10.00.

Truthfully the other posts are correct.  Even if you listed it on Ebay for $10.00, after fees you might net 6 or 7 dollars if you are lucky. It will take you at least 45 minutes to package, list, etc.

I have bought them from 50 cents to a couple of dollars, similar to yours. I am a cheapskate, though.

It is nice for sentimental reasons. If you or someone in your family likes tools, you are better off keeping it.

Btw - the clamp up and to the right of the one in the picture is a wide mouth top beam clamp.  They are used to hang pipe from building structure. They cost about $1.00 new. That is by the box of 100. If you go into one of the big stores where you con see the roof structure, look up.  The fire sprinkler pipe every 10' to 15' is hung with those. A rod comes down from the clamp to a hanger ring on the pipe.

Good luck.  You did a nice job cleaning it .

Chilly

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »
That is a lovely monkey wrench in the photo. Looks nice and clean. Can you read the makers mark?
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
First off, you've done a great job cleaning this clamp.  It looks really pretty.

C-clamps with the wings are sometimes called carriage maker's clamps, which will tell you something about the use of this design.  As for the rest of it's uses, some wood worker told me years ago, "You can never have enough clamps."  At the time I thought that was kinda silly.  But it wasn't long until I found I had nowhere near enough of them.  Now I have a milk crate full of C-clamps, and bar clamps and pipe clamps and Jorgenson wood clamps, some tiny brass bar clamps, edge banding clamps....  Sometimes I still run out.  They hold things in place while you work, they hold pieces together while glue sets, they crank things together so you can fasten them.  A couple of clamps working together can hold a piece so you can work on it at a convenient level or angle.  They work so well, I think, that collectors take them for granted.  But check the prices on new ones.  I'd rather pay even a little more to have one like yours.

That's a right fine C-clamp!