Author Topic: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark  (Read 83269 times)

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
Re: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2014, 01:32:59 AM »
Interesting read on Craftsman -V- tools & makers in Alloy Artifacts,  http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/craftsman-maker-v.html#maker-v
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2014, 08:57:55 AM »
Interesting read on Craftsman -V- tools & makers in Alloy Artifacts,  http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/craftsman-maker-v.html#maker-v

Thanks for the link!  I'm a frequent visitor on that site.  Lots of good information and photos.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline leg17

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »
Thank you Papaws for letting me post here.  Send me your address for a free copy.

Hi Jim, and all the rest of you tool nuts like myself.

Like everything else, there is a catch with this $65 including postage price.  I ask that in return for the price reduction, that you give an honest review of the product in either two areas of this site and/or another tool website.  I'm not going to check up on it.  It is on the honor system.  By honest review, you can say it is fantastic, or a complete waste of money.  I spent around 2,500 hours on it, so I'm hoping everyone loves it as much as I do.  So far it has been all positive reviews.  :)  I'm just hoping to eventually break even on the endeavor.  (not including my time)  I made it for me and the rest of the tool fanatics. 

David Maher
1300 Saratoga Avenue #1104
Ventura, CA 93003

Cash, check, money order, paypal.   Paypal Firstclass4   They are shipped USPS priority 2 day.  Outside the US, I pay $6 of the postage and you pay the rest.

Dave the Package arrived just fine.
VERY IMPRESSIVE.
Thanks for all your work as it will live on to benefit many folks.
Thanks again.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Tom

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2014, 09:39:24 PM »
I’ve been keeping an eye out for Craftsman Round Head Fine Tooth (RHFT) ratchets for the last couple years.  They’re pretty good ratchets.  I used David Maher's Craftsman DVD set to compile a little information about them.  From what I can tell, the 3/8” drive and ½”  drive models appeared in the Sears product line at some point around 1970.  The 1/4” model joined the line up in 1971.  It appears that all three ratchets were offered through 2008.  The ¼”, 3/8” and ½” models had 70, 82, and 90 teeth respectively from 1970 through 1977.  In 1978 the tooth count was essentially cut in half to 35, 41 and 45 respectively.

Looking at a few different 3/8” versions of the RHFT ratchet, I noticed that the earliest =V= stamped model has no part number, much like many other Craftsman tools with the same manufacturer’s mark.  The first model number to appear on a 3/8” version was 43788, and the manufacturer’s mark changed from =V= to -V-.  At some point around 1980, the model number changed to 43781.  Paying attention to those model numbers, or a lack thereof, can give you a rough estimate as to the age of your RHFT ratchet. 

Still looking at the 3/8" models below, one thing that I found interesting is the reversal of the stampings on the handle of the earliest version with the =V= mark.  Most of the time, the word “CRAFTSMAN” usually appears on the selector side of the handle, while the model number, manufacturer’s mark, and patent information appear on the socket side of the handle.  On the ratchet depicted below, those stampings are switched.  Of further interest is the fact that the earliest ratchet still retains its advertising decal, announcing the ratchet as being new to the Craftsman tool line.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:15:07 AM by Jim C. »

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2014, 09:11:01 AM »
Still looking at the 3/8" models below, one thing that I found interesting is the reversal of the stampings on the handle of the earliest version with the =V= mark.  Most of the time, the word “CRAFTSMAN” usually appears on the selector side of the handle, while the model number, manufacturer’s mark, and patent information appear on the socket side of the handle.  On the ratchet depicted below, those stampings are switched.

That's very interesting. I wonder if it's only your ratchet or if there are many such examples?

I have a similar Patent Pending 3/8" ratchet with the normal orientation...

Kijiji King

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »
Still looking at the 3/8" models below, one thing that I found interesting is the reversal of the stampings on the handle of the earliest version with the =V= mark.  Most of the time, the word “CRAFTSMAN” usually appears on the selector side of the handle, while the model number, manufacturer’s mark, and patent information appear on the socket side of the handle.  On the ratchet depicted below, those stampings are switched.

That's very interesting. I wonder if it's only your ratchet or if there are many such examples?

I have a similar Patent Pending 3/8" ratchet with the normal orientation...

You know, I suspect it's something that happened very early on in production, and the tool just got placed into the stamping machine upside down.  I don't know exactly how those stamps are applied, but that's my guess.  There could be more examples out there I suppose.  If you look at a the 1/2" RHFT ratchet I posted above, the stamps themselves have the common/correct orientation, but they were double struck causing a "shadowing" effect on both sides.  I think both ratchets were the result of a factory worker just not paying attention.  As interesting as the mis-stamped handles are, I was even more attracted to the advertisement decal on the handle.  I haven't seen too many that still retain those decals.  Do you know if any of the later produced Craftsman RHFT ratchets came with manufacturer's marks other than the =V= or -V-?  For instance, were they ever produced with the -VV- mark?

Jim C.   

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
Do you know if any of the later produced Craftsman RHFT ratchets came with manufacturer's marks other than the =V= or -V-?  For instance, were they ever produced with the -VV- mark?

I'm afraid I don't know...

Kijiji King

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2014, 03:15:40 PM »
I've never seen one with any other mark than the =V= or -V-, but who knows.  Since they were available from Sears as late as 2008, I guess it's possible that later known manufacturer's marks are present on the handles.

Another tidbit that I noticed as I was combing through Mr. Maher's DVDs (they really are a great resource), is that the RHFT ratchets were a catalog order only item near the end of their run in the Sears product line.  I should have noted the year that they became catalog only items.  It appears that Sears still sells repair kits for all three models for approximately $10 to $14 each.

Jim C.     

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »
Gang,

I have a 1/4 drive 43187 RHFT that I purchased new in 2008.  It has a KW series code stamped on it.

The V-series trail went cold about 1986, although it's possible that NOS V-series tools were still being sold as late as 1990 or 1991.

Given that the RHFT ratchets were produced until 2008 (note-- I saw them on Sears.com well into 2010) there had to have been many different series codes stamped on the RHFT ratchets.  When Danaher took over the Sears contract in 1990, new series codes were being minted every year, especially on ratchets.

Hope this answers your question...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:40:13 AM by lauver »
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2014, 05:37:25 PM »
Lauver,

It's always a pleasure sir.  Thanks for jumping in with some good info.

Jim C.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2014, 12:40:35 PM »
Here is one that should be in the =v= group. I have thought that if a person were to create a list of ten or so tools for the purpose of measuring the state of the market by checking the ebay sale prices and totaling them on any given day, this would be a good tool to include. Sort of an index like they do with stock prices. People are paying over $100 in some cases for this one. Not too long ago, the going rate was $50 and lower. Anyway, here's the one I have. I have seen it with many name variations in the ebay listings but I am not sure what they call it in the catalog or in which year it first appeared. 3/8 drive speed ratchet?

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
...but I am not sure what they call it in the catalog or in which year it first appeared.

It first appeared in the 1960 or 1961 catalogue (depending on how you wish to date them) - the one with the red cover depicting a micrometer.

They were called Speeder Ratchets.

Kijiji King

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »
Here is one that should be in the =v= group. I have thought that if a person were to create a list of ten or so tools for the purpose of measuring the state of the market by checking the ebay sale prices and totaling them on any given day, this would be a good tool to include. Sort of an index like they do with stock prices. People are paying over $100 in some cases for this one. Not too long ago, the going rate was $50 and lower. Anyway, here's the one I have. I have seen it with many name variations in the ebay listings but I am not sure what they call it in the catalog or in which year it first appeared. 3/8 drive speed ratchet?

kxxr,

Nice ratchet!  I've been looking for a nice example of that one for a few years now.  As a matter of fact, it's probably at the top of my "Want List."  I'm still looking.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:30:47 PM by Jim C. »

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2014, 03:22:27 PM »
Gang

If memory serves, this speeder ratchet was only available in one drive size and only for a period of 2 or 3 years.  Then it disappeared from the catalogs.  I think these two observations explain the rarity and recent high prices.  I also think that websites like TT, GG, and GJ have contributed substantially to the rising prices (IMHO).

For the record, Herbrand also made a similar speeder ratchet, but I'm not sure when and for how long.  The Herbrand model commands fairly serious prices too.
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2014, 04:17:56 PM »
Gang

If memory serves, this speeder ratchet was only available in one drive size and only for a period of 2 or 3 years.  Then it disappeared from the catalogs.  I think these two observations explain the rarity and recent high prices.  I also think that websites like TT, GG, and GJ have contributed substantially to the rising prices (IMHO).

For the record, Herbrand also made a similar speeder ratchet, but I'm not sure when and for how long.  The Herbrand model commands fairly serious prices too.

Agreed.....but I still want one!!!

Jim C.