Author Topic: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark  (Read 83291 times)

Offline Jim C.

Re: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2019, 12:32:09 PM »
Yeah, I agree Don.  I think that’s a 1/2” box.  I’m pretty sure even the 1/2” boxes started using one clasp as time passed.  The handles also changed from metal to black plastic.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »
I've never been sure quite what happened with clutch head screws.  I guess they were another attempt at the same firm attachment to the screw that Robertson, square, and Torx screws offer, but they didn't attract enough customers.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2019, 04:41:56 PM »
Hey Bill,

I can't tell you what ever happened to clutch head screws.  There were a few, or least a couple, different "types" as far as I know.  For some reason, I have it in my mind that clutch head screws were frequently used to assemble tow-behind campers and mobile homes back in the 1950s and 1960s.  They may also have been used on similar vintage car interiors, like dashboards, upholstery, etc.  I posted the "G" type screwdrivers offered by Sears/Craftsman back on page 9, reply 134.  I included them below as well as the three type "A" clutch head screwdrivers also offered by Sears/Craftsman during the same time period.  The catalog page is from the 1960 Craftsman Hand Tool Catalog.  (Notice both of the smallest screwdrivers from each type still retain their original price tags, which read $1.29..... same as the catalog.)  Sears/Craftsman also offered three Type "A" 1/4" drive socket bits.  Funny, but I don't think Sears ever offered type "G" socket bits.  Again, the catalog reference is from the 1960 Craftsman Hand Tool Catalog.

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 04:46:52 PM by Jim C. »

Offline p_toad

« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
I do recall seeing clutch head screws in old campers/tornado-coffins back when...   reminded me of this one.
Sorry it's not Craftsman/Sears.   Apparently Upson made these for Proto and i'm guessing a few other companies.
Interesting write-up over at https://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/2016/01/clutch-head-screwdrivers.html
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:31:13 PM by p_toad »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2019, 07:09:30 AM »
Hey Peter,

GREAT follow up!!  Thanks for adding some good content to the thread.  I learned a few things that I didn’t know, and confirmed some things I thought I knew.  No problem that it’s not all Sears/Craftsman.  The history is certainly interesting.  Once the conversation gets going, there’s bound to be other tools and manufacturers introduced into the mix.  Your post is right on point!  I’m a Craftsman fan, so I’ll keep posting them here.  If that starts a conversation, it’s fine with me.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:13:26 AM by Jim C. »

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2019, 05:04:23 AM »
I have quite a few clutch head screwdrivers. My 1963 Corvair camper van used quite a few of them holding various body parts together. Here are a couple Xcelite and a Proto along with a couple old pictures of the van.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2019, 05:48:00 PM »
Thanks Don.  Great photos!! What ever happened to that camper?

Jim C.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2019, 09:14:13 PM »
It’s sitting out in front acting as my wife’s personal storage container. Here it is a couple of days ago next to her Camry. It does a little work around the cabin since we don’t use it for camping anymore.
-Don
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:22:55 PM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2019, 06:39:54 AM »
That’s pretty cool Don!  It’s nice to hear that you still have it and it’s still running......and it’s held together with clutch head screws.  :grin:

Jim C.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2019, 04:17:18 AM »
Thanks, Jim. I just had to buy some tires for it recently. It’s not easy to find 14” whitewalls. 
I found a fairly large lot of Craftsman at a garage sale yesterday and most of the tools were early =v=. I’m not sure what toolbox provided the tray but I’ve started adding a few =v= tools to complete the various sets. The really amazing thing to me was that the usually missing crossbars were in place. Since I have a thing for 1/4” drive sets, I’ll probably end up keeping the Heritage logo set.
The Crown carry box came from another sale. It’s pretty straight and the interior is nice. A previous owner protected the bottom of the box with cardboard.
-Don
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:26:20 AM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2019, 09:06:40 PM »
Wow Don!!!  That’s a great score!!!  I hope the price was right.  Looks like you got some nice stuff.

Jim C.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »
Yeah, i know...but this got run off the road long ago....   new to me driver.

It's a 5/32 clutch driver (other style) and the very worn handle says "Apex Dayton Ohio".

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »
Wow Don!!!  That’s a great score!!!  I hope the price was right.  Looks like you got some nice stuff.

Jim C.
Jim,
I found a set yesterday that has to be considered unusual. It’s a Heritage marked 1/2” drive =v= set that is 100% cad plated. I’ve found a few cad =v= sockets before but never a complete set. It eve has an extra 3/4” 12 point and 11/16” 8 point socket.
-Don
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:21:10 PM by d42jeep »
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2019, 09:28:43 PM »
Yeah, i know...but this got run off the road long ago....   new to me driver.

It's a 5/32 clutch driver (other style) and the very worn handle says "Apex Dayton Ohio".
That looks familiar. Yours is the only other one I’ve ever seen.
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2019, 07:23:38 AM »
Indestro Super 4643 Chrome Alloy Steel Cutch Head Screwdriver.