Author Topic: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark  (Read 83260 times)

Offline Jim C.

Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
I've been an old Corvette and old Delta woodworking machine enthusiast for several years now.  I remember restoring my first old Corvette in the early 1980s with the help and guidance of my uncle.  I didn't have any tools to speak of so my dad bought me a small Craftsman set with the basics and the rest I borrowed from my uncle.  He was a "car guy" his whole life and he, probably like many backyard mechanics across the country, used mostly Craftsman tools.  I'm assuming that he did so for the ease of acquiring them, their affordability, and for the great warranty policy.  Between my dad's influence and that of my uncle, I was raised on the same philosophy.  What I remember most was the experience I gained and those old Craftsman tools in my uncle's box.  They all had a =V= or a -V- mark on them.  In very recent years, I got this crazy idea that it would be fun to tinker with old 1950s and 1960s cars and machines, using vintage tools from approximately the same era, versus using my tools from the 1980s and 1990s.  As a result, I got hooked on Craftsman tools with the =V= manufacturer's mark on them.  During the last few years, I've been trying to make sets of wrenches, sockets, etc. up to an inch in size.  I've been buying some ratchets too.  I finally finished the double box end wrench set below in sizes 3/8" to 1".  The last one I needed was the 19/32" x 25/32".  Nice old Craftsman tools "Made in the USA".

Jim C.     
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:49:56 AM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Jim C.

Re: Craftsman Tools with the =V= Manufacturer's Mark
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
Craftsman starter/manifold wrench.  9/16" x 5/8". 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:04:07 PM by Jim C. »

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:37:46 PM »
Classics!

Kijiji King

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »
Great choice Jim,  your post echoes my reasoning for collecting Craftsman. If there are any =V= sockets that you are missing, I have a bunch of duplicates. My users are mostly Vs, my collectors are underlined C from the thirties and forties. I even have a few pieces with the  first logo from the late twenties.  I would swap for metric Vs, I'm thin there.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:46:57 PM by johnsironsanctuary »
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
Great choice Jim,  your post echoes my reasoning for collecting Craftsman. If there are any =V= sockets that you are missing, I have a bunch of duplicates. My users are mostly Vs, my collectors are underlined C from the thirties and forties. I even have a few pieces with the  first logo from the late twenties.  I would swap for metric Vs, I'm thin there.

Hi John,

I'm guessing that your =V= collection is more extensive than mine.  I've only gotten serious about =V= tools in the last few years.  I'm looking for good "user" stuff to tinker on old cars and machines.  I really go for the SAE sizes.  Unfortunately I don't have a single metric =V= tool.  I do have a few extra 1/4" drive SAE =V= sockets if you're looking for any of those.  I'm trying to find a good SAE combo wrench set and a set of 3/8" drive 6 point sockets.  I'm also looking for 8 point sockets.  I'm definitely hooked on the old =V= tools.

Jim C.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 03:27:30 AM »

John,

I have a couple of extra underline c sockets.  Is your set complete?

Chilly

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 09:02:48 PM »
Craftsman 3/8" drive flex head ratchet.  Well used but not abused.

Offline stormking

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:28:08 PM »
Nice V selector ratchet. That seems to be a hard model to come by.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 07:20:07 AM »
Jim, what Corvettes have you owned? I started with a 68 T top red on red with a small block and 4spd, next picked up a wrecked 63 split window coupe. I painted that silver and it had a black interior that was a 4spd too. Never actually got the 63 on the road, sold it before I managed to do that. Last but not least was a 65 coupe silver and black with power glide. Loved them all but had to part with them. Sure wish I still had them now! Tools are easier to keep for me.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »
Jim, what Corvettes have you owned? I started with a 68 T top red on red with a small block and 4spd, next picked up a wrecked 63 split window coupe. I painted that silver and it had a black interior that was a 4spd too. Never actually got the 63 on the road, sold it before I managed to do that. Last but not least was a 65 coupe silver and black with power glide. Loved them all but had to part with them. Sure wish I still had them now! Tools are easier to keep for me.

I've always liked old cars.  My first was a 1967 Camaro that I bought from a neighbor who was the original owner.  It was a car that actually belonged to a "little old lady." It was a really low milage car and very well maintained.  The ash trays in the car were lined with aluminum foil when I bought it.  I eventually sold it and bought an untouched 1966 Corvette 327/300 small block Milano maroon coupe with real Kelsey Hayes factory knock off wheels.  It came with all the original paperwork to prove it!  I had that car for about fourteen years and eventually had to sell it because I wanted a little bit more house to accommodate my growing family.  In 2006, I bought another 1966 327/300 small block Laguna blue convertible.  It was in pretty good condition considering its age and prior ownership history.  Although I can only trace the previous owners back to about 1975, I do know that between 1975 and today, that I am the 11th owner!!  Who knows how many there were between 1966 and 1975?  I've also had friends who've purchased 1950s and 1960s Corvettes and I've done a lot of restoration work on those cars.  Like I said in my earlier post, somewhere along the line I got this crazy idea to start tinkering on these old cars using vintage tools.  I also really like old Delta woodworking machinery from the 1940s and 1950s.  The cars and the machinery eventually fueled my Craftsman =V= tool addiction.  I was hoping that others would post a few pictures of their =V= tools.

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 08:43:13 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchets.

Offline pritch

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 08:33:25 PM »
I'll bet I have a few of these floating around. I'll check it out.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »
I'll bet I have a few of these floating around. I'll check it out.

When I started the thread, I was hoping that others would post some pictures of their =V= tools too.

Jim C.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 10:42:12 PM »
Craftsman 1/2" drive speed wrench.

Offline Branson

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:44 AM »
I've seen lots of talk about -V- C-man tools, but what's the deal with Craftsman tools marked -VV- ?  I have a 1/2 inch drive VV Craftsman rat.