Author Topic: New Member From Colorado  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
New Member From Colorado
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:51:21 AM »
Hello to everyone!

I found this site while researching tools. 

I have been collecting vintage tools since I was a teenager. At first I bought garage sale / vintage / used tools because that is what I could afford. Now I collect them to use or just for the way they look (Mrs. Chilly claims I hoard tools. She never fails to notice when I get a tool "exactly like the other ones") She'll ask "Don't you have one or two of those?" I usually answer "Yeah, but I don't have this one. I'll keep the best one and get rid of the others."  I rarely followed up on the getting rid part of the deal. Unlike other folks, our garage has never been used for vehicles.

I work glass (mostly warm glass, but hotwork as I feel the need), metalwork (silversmithing), lapidary, and of course regular metalwork, woodwork, and leatherwork. Our 5 kids grew up knowing they could make anything they put their mind to. They learned about quality early on, both in their tools and in the work they produced with them. (We still have quality macaroni masks hanging on our bedroom wall from 26 yrs ago.) I also remember replacing leather handles on a hammer the boys found down by the creek one Spring. When they brought their "find" in, I sent them back down there to find my other tools they had used busting up ice during the Winter.

By trade I started out as an apprentice fire sprinkler fitter. By the time I turned out I was in the office designing fire sprinkler systems and other fire protection systems. Always kept my union membership, even though I haven't had to pull wrenches in some decades. 31 years and counting.

My favorite power tool is my ~1936 Yates American scroll /jig saw. Beautiful, 268# of cast iron art deco style, original paint and runs smooth as a sewing machine. I'm convinced I got it because no one else at the auction wanted to lift it. My favorite hand tool is usually the one I am currently researching, restoring, or picking up with the rest of the flat. Either that or one one of my Fretz hammers (I have almost all of those.) I really like a good tool. Occasionally I get some part at HF, I'm just glad if none if my friends or family see me there. (But rubber gloves and stuff like that are easy to pick up there.)

I've spent a few hours looking around this site. I really like the openness and willingness to share of the members. I have hundreds of wrenches and other tools that I need to figure out. I have a few short sets, also. Personally, I would rather give a tool to another collector, or swap with them, than clean out my garage any other way. I hope I might helpout others with what little I know.

I am sorry if I rambled, I do that sometimes also.

Offline oldgoaly

Re: New Member From Colorado
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:38:38 AM »
Welcome Chilly!
I'm basically a newbie too, I used to go to auctions all the time, didn't buy a lot of tools unless it was something I needed. One of the auction regulars was John the Toolman, he bought all kinds of stuff, if there was a box I wanted something in we would work a deal to not bid each other up. I ended up putting a new furnace and air in his house he kept saying when do you want to go see the shed. Geez John your basement is full of tools.... Well he had a shed full too! not a dang one I was looking for!
I don't think I would be out of line saying there are a few John the Toolman types here! 
Oh don't be shy about posting pics or links to your pics! We ALL like pics!
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline kxxr

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:04:28 AM »
Welcome aboard. And, thanks for identifying the jewelers bezel tool. I had to look up cabochon :)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 06:23:08 AM »
Welcome again, Larry!
One of the best introductions we've had here in a long time!

Pictures!  Hammers?-- Show us!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »
Welcome Chilly sounds like you fit right in with this bunch. Hope to see some pictures.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:36 AM »
Hi Chilly and welcome from Florida.  I just have to ask...what is a Fretz hammer?  A new one for me.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »
Welcome again, Larry!  Great introduction, and one that is appreciated.  It's great having new contributing members such as yourself.

I'd be curious to get your view on the following wrench.  I suspect it is fire related....although I can't "prove it".

http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=5210.msg32944#msg32944
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
Hi and welcome from Alberta

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:10:53 PM »
Greetings from the frozen tundra of north Michigan!
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »
Welcome to tooltalk from Illinois

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 01:17:10 AM »
Welcome & Aloha from Hawaii...  Show us some photos of your stuff,  That ~1936 Yates American scroll /jig saw sounds interesting...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 03:43:07 AM »
Thanks to everyone.

Offline chopper1

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 04:58:32 AM »
Welcome from the Buckeye state
Mike
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.