Blacksmith and Metal Working Forum > Blacksmith and Metalworking Forum

A bit off topic...

(1/3) > >>

64longstep/Brian:
It is interesting apprenticing under a Master Blade smith when I only get to see him once a year.
My latest challenge is to produce a quality Damascus knife for him by March, and I have no clue what I want to make. I’m thinking I’ll make 4” drop point with a leather ring handle with brass bolster and end cap, using 5 different types of steel varying carbon content folding it 5 times witch would make 160 layers. Any in put from you folks would be greatly approached.
Brian-

Papaw:
You have 10 months to do it? I'd think you should be able to learn enough in that period of time!

64longstep/Brian:
This will be the second Damascus blade I will have made, and it will be tougher than the first. This peace I will have to correct the mastics I made on the first one. I’m hoping that I will be able to get it right on the first try.

Branson:
Hope you have a power hammer for all the drawing out!   Are you starting with a stack?  What sort
of patterning are you aiming for?

The drop point sounds nice, and useful.  Me, I'd lean toward making a Scottish sgian dubh, but I'm
a sucker for old style blades.

Pictures.  Pictures would be nice...

lzenglish:

--- Quote from: 64longstep on May 05, 2011, 03:26:18 AM ---It is interesting apprenticing under a Master Blade smith when I only get to see him once a year.
My latest challenge is to produce a quality Damascus knife for him by March, and I have no clue what I want to make. I’m thinking I’ll make 4” drop point with a leather ring handle with brass bolster and end cap, using 5 different types of steel varying carbon content folding it 5 times witch would make 160 layers. Any in put from you folks would be greatly approached.
Brian-

--- End quote ---

You lost me at 5 different types of steel! Lol Where does one buy 5 different types of steel? I know, the steel store, Right. Anyway, after seeing some of your work, I have complete confidence in your abilities to perform this task. I only hope you document it with some step by step photos to share on our site. I watched a documentory on the old school way of making of a Samurai Sword last year, and it was a very long and drawn out process of folding, drawing and mixing of the steel to get just the right carbon content. Best of Luck to you.

Wayne

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version