Author Topic: Can someone tell me what happened here  (Read 5627 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Can someone tell me what happened here
« on: February 06, 2015, 05:37:08 PM »
I need this tool, I bid 355 ( new they are 500 plus on the Snapper truck ) last bid 7 seconds before the auction ended was a bit over 3 with 12 bidders. I hit my button and waited to see what would happen.

How did I win it for exactly what I bid as my maximum amount?

I feel like something is fishy here, seems to me for this to of happened someone else would have had to bid 354.00 and what are the chances of that.

Thanks

Ebay item # 121557907560

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121557907560?_trksid=p2059210.m2748.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:39:27 PM by 1930 »
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline bill300d

Re: Can someone tell me what happened here
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:03:38 PM »
 Bid incriments are $5.00 from $250.00 to $500.00. Previous bidders bid $351.75. you get it at end of auction at $355.00 even though your bid is only $3.75 more.

bill
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 06:04:25 PM »
I can't tell you what happened with the auction but I do have a comment on the tool.

We had the snap on Krud remover thing at work. We used it for taking built up gunk off around tops of evaporated tubes. The snap on version worked great but the wheels are rather pricy. We purchased the same concept by dynabrade an it works just as good an replacement wheels are cheaper.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »
Bid incriments are $5.00 from $250.00 to $500.00. Previous bidders bid $351.75. you get it at end of auction at $355.00 even though your bid is only $3.75 more.

bill
I did not know the bid increments so that helps, still who bids 351.75. Still seems strange but Ok, thanks
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 06:32:37 PM »
I can't tell you what happened with the auction but I do have a comment on the tool.

We had the snap on Krud remover thing at work. We used it for taking built up gunk off around tops of evaporated tubes. The snap on version worked great but the wheels are rather pricy. We purchased the same concept by dynabrade an it works just as good an replacement wheels are cheaper.
Wheels interchange between the units, Dynabrade, dynazip,dent-fix,Omg Snap-on, Ingersoll and I am sure many others put their names on the tools and they all use the same accessories so whomever told you the wheels were cheaper did not put a whole bunch of thought into it.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 06:45:48 PM »
The snapy wheels we had fit on to the dynabrade but slip if you apply a lot of pressure. I should of phrased it as they fit but not very well.

Either are great products an I recomend either.

Happy buying :)
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline bill300d

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »
most people bin in even no's.  When I bid I use odd no's like that so that if some bid351.70 and my bid is 351.74 I win

bill
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »
most people bin in even no's.  When I bid I use odd no's like that so that if some bid351.70 and my bid is 351.74 I win

bill
+1
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline turnnut

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 08:52:40 PM »
1930;

there are many bidders that do not bid with even numbers, such as $66.66 or $ 275.68

if you had bid $355.01 and he bid $355.00  you win.

there are bidders that put in bids early that do not show up until the last few seconds,
   ebay will show you how to do it that way.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 02:10:13 AM »
Thanks guys, did not know

Offline bunger

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »
It's called "bid sniping" and there are computer programs out there that make bids for you at the last possible moment, in an attempt to win an auction from someone who is bidding on his own using a keyboard. The program is much faster at upping the bid than the human is.

Basically you set a max bid in the program and the program increases the bid just enough to win at the last moment. It's not tipping your hand until the last seconds. It prevents you from getting into a bidding war too early.
Milk crate suckage winner for February 2012

Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 04:41:39 PM »
It's called "bid sniping" and there are computer programs out there that make bids for you at the last possible moment, in an attempt to win an auction from someone who is bidding on his own using a keyboard. The program is much faster at upping the bid than the human is.

Basically you set a max bid in the program and the program increases the bid just enough to win at the last moment. It's not tipping your hand until the last seconds. It prevents you from getting into a bidding war too early.
I have heard about this program, not sure what the point is though, as far as I know as long as I put in the maximum amount I would like to pay and my maximum amount is larger than their pre-set sniped amount than I still win the auction.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
That is true, but if the snipe program is set to always top the last bid ( up to the sniper's max bid) , the sniper will win when he tops your max bid. I don't think a human can bid fast enough to beat a good snipe program.
I used to think sniping was unfair until I realized that the sniper must also have a max bid in mind, and if he is willing to go higher than me, so be it.
I have never used a snipe program, I will place my max bid and live with losing if it happens.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 10:00:59 PM »
That is true, but if the snipe program is set to always top the last bid ( up to the sniper's max bid) , the sniper will win when he tops your max bid. I don't think a human can bid fast enough to beat a good snipe program.
I used to think sniping was unfair until I realized that the sniper must also have a max bid in mind, and if he is willing to go higher than me, so be it.
I have never used a snipe program, I will place my max bid and live with losing if it happens.
This is exactly how I feel as well, I place my max bid, wait till the last few seconds and hit the button, if I win great, if I dont it just means someone else wanted it worse than me and so have fun paying for it.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 10:08:23 PM »
I think your missing the point. Instead of sitting in front of your computer waiting for the auction to end the snipe program does it for you while you are doing something else.

bill