Author Topic: Inside a ratchet: How they work  (Read 227880 times)

Offline mtds

Wright MN60 from 1942
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
This Wright MN60 3/8-drive ratchet caught my eye at a garage sale last weekend.

I didn't know anything at all about it, but since my favorite “using” ratchet is a Wright 3490 and the price was right on the older ratchet, I took it home with me.  Next I checked AA and saw that it was date-coded 1942.  I had a seventy year old ratchet.  Not the oldest tool I have, but definitely the oldest ratchet.

AA went on to say, “This ratchet has an unusual design not previously seen in other tools.”  So I did what anyone else would do: I took it apart and cleaned it.

Note (picture below) that the gear is controlled by a spring-loaded “peg” that rests in the slot in the selector.  (The spring has a rectangular cross-section.)  Is this the “sliding rod selector/pawl” that bonneyman refers to in the first post in this thread?

Here it is when partially reassembled:

Another question: What is the function of the spring and ball located in the center of the gear?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:16:21 PM by mtds »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Inside a ratchet: How they work
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »
Nice pics, mtds!

That is one beefy pawl. And the gear teeth aren't shabby, either!
Ratchet Guru

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »
I believe the spring and ball acts like a "floating centering shaft" as the teeth engagement load up with torque pressure.
Machining tolerances must be high and true and lots of lubrication for this to work.
The main gear has a "centering shoulder" on it, and must be lubed regularly , or it will wallow out.

Use it, and enjoy the pleasure you will receive from such a nice vintage ratchet!!
Molon Labe

Offline hofferwood

• Wimmen and children first,wait take my toolbag
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2012, 12:46:22 AM »
hofferwood,

Thanks for post #13 re: Sparta CS-45 1/2" drive round head.  Your photos of the ratchet core saved my bacon and my sanity today. 

I picked up a nice vintage Husky CS-45 this weekend that was not working smoothly at all.  I took the core out to clean and lube it.  Reassembled it and it was still not working 100%.  So I did a complete disassembly and flattenened both top plates and deburred several pieces.  When I went to reassemble it I had trouble remembering how it came apart.  Then I remembered this thread.  Bingo! Your photos helped me get it back together.  Now all is well with my newly acquired Husky.

For the record, my ratchet has patent 2,291,389 stamped on it.  This is the patent for this Kilness ratchet mechanism.  This patent was applied for in 1957 and issued in 1961.  This patent was assigned to the New Britain Machine Company, where Kilness worked.  There are some really nice illustrations of this ratchet mechanism attached to the patent.

Thanks again...

You're welcome Gary,
A year later, sorry. I have been so overwhelmed with stuff, I haven.t been here  :(
So here's a newer Stanley

They have the "floating" pawl, similar to the Proto "Big Dawg"

It's best to use light oil on these, because grease tends to "Glue" the pawl to the ratchet wheel. Causing "Auto-reverse"
They even put detent balls in the selector to help prevent this.

Chuck
Chuck
If it aint broke, fix it till it is

James

« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2013, 12:55:01 AM »
Dear Sirs;      I'm trying to find a spiiefcc tool, and I need some help.  The tool I'm looking for is a wrench that looks very similar to a crescent wrench.  However, instead of a worm gear adjustment for the jaws it has a spring and pivot arrangement, which when you slide your thumb up under the jaws, they open in a parallel fashion and as you back off after the initial tightening pull it allows the jaws to open and walk the work, on it's way to the next pull.   Any ideas???   I'd appreciate any help.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »
James, that sounds like a type that was made many years ago by several makers,  and is now produced as a "Versa Wrench", and still available.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2013, 05:32:12 PM »
Very good pics of the "semi-free" floating pawl design found in Stanleys (and others!), Chuck!

Here's my latest acquisition - my first S-K Frankenstein ratchet. 3/8" Very lightly used, some drawer wear if anything. Very slight wear on the pawl as well - the internals were very clean and shiny. A keeper!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:43:32 PM by bonneyman »
Ratchet Guru

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
I picked up a Frankenstein ratchet last summer. It is the world famous Globemaster.

EvilDr235

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2013, 06:23:54 PM »
Just noticed the thread total views. All I can say is, "WOW"! Not even two years old, and already approaching 7500 views. I guess that means people really like the thread and use it as a resource.

Well, keep looking. And keep adding pics. We like ratchet photos!
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »
Picked up a non-functional Williams M-51  1/4" today. Soaking didn't free it up, and I pretty much destroyed the thing getting it apart. Too bad - the gear and pawl were in fine shape. At least now I know how to disassemble this style in the future. Plus, we can all see the guts!
Batman pawl with 2 teeth per wing, 24 tooth gear.

The gear comes out the front after unscrewing the two-hole disc. The little metal rod/pin on the selector knob (not shown in the pic) gets pulled out with pliers. Then, the selector screw can be turned out to remove the pawl and gain access to the ball and spring.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:37:40 PM by bonneyman »
Ratchet Guru

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2013, 05:47:33 PM »
Just noticed the thread total views. All I can say is, "WOW"! Not even two years old, and already approaching 7500 views. I guess that means people really like the thread and use it as a resource.

bonneyman,

Your are correct, this thread is getting some serious traffic; and that's because this thread has something to offer to a fairly broad cross-section of members and visiters.

Now, the other side of the statistics (i.e. the number of replies); as of now their are 129 replies vs. 7,981 views.   Replies represent 1.6% of the total views.  Why is this important.  Because the folks who post are contributing to the thread.  The other 98.4% are mining the thread for content, getting what they want, and a leaving without contributing a thing to the thread.  This thread deserves and needs active member who contribute content to the thread.  As for inactive members and non contributing visiters... we could probably do without most of them.

Your thoughts? 
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

jnc

« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »
looking for parts for an Indestro #6272 3/8 ratchet (forward /reverse lever) any parts out there?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2013, 08:33:23 PM »

bonneyman,

Your are correct, this thread is getting some serious traffic; and that's because this thread has something to offer to a fairly broad cross-section of members and visiters.

Now, the other side of the statistics (i.e. the number of replies); as of now their are 129 replies vs. 7,981 views.   Replies represent 1.6% of the total views.  Why is this important.  Because the folks who post are contributing to the thread.  The other 98.4% are mining the thread for content, getting what they want, and a leaving without contributing a thing to the thread.  This thread deserves and needs active member who contribute content to the thread.  As for inactive members and non contributing visiters... we could probably do without most of them.

Your thoughts?

If the question was directed at me, I personally don't feel slighted if people view and don't post. I always considered this an informational thread, and Papaw was gracious enough to give it the sticky status and take up space on his forum. Many thanks, Noel!
I have gotten so much out of the thread, learning from what others say and post, I think I've gotten the better end of the deal for the time and effort I put into it. Although, I gotta say, doing a google search one time brought up this thread and my ratchet pictures right on the first page! Apparently someone linked the post (or whatever you call it), and had the rat pics on their site for instructional purposes. Have to say I was surprised - and a little stunned - about that.
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

New additions 3/1/13
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
An EASCO RHFT in 3/8" and a Bonney V-702K 1/4" (also a RHFT design, though no QR).
The EASCO has minimal wear inside - both the head and pawl teeth are sharp and crisp. Did a total disassembly for proper cleaning and lube - and pics. And I can see why the design was discontinued - all those little parts and machining probably pushed costs up to high.
I have another Bonney in 1/4", same model number, but it's a bit shorter, wider handle, and stamping is smaller and crisper, too. Could be end-of-life production?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 11:36:15 AM by bonneyman »
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »
Got a new ratchet in this week from Ken W. An older model Bonney 3/8" flex, T-702. After a 4 day soak in acetone/ATF (amongst others) it's finally turning freely.
Has dual sliding pawls (not see-saw). Head has 45 teeth, very compact design for a 3/8". And I really like the tapered handle!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:44:15 PM by bonneyman »
Ratchet Guru