Author Topic: been hiding too long  (Read 3649 times)

Offline Dustin21

• Defiance Ohio
Re: been hiding too long
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
Ihave three ,three cabinet rollers full of craftsman work tools.  some are from 1952 when i started working for a pontiac dealer. the original box still works like it did when i bought it. I get upset when someone calls craftsman tools junk.now the new foreign made craftsman tools along with snap-0n ,mac,s&k,and ALL other tool sellers( you will notice i did not say manufacturers) are not up to our standards but with the price we all buy them. Harbor has not ever had a losing year since starting in business.non of our electric powertools are not made here but we still buy by name. sorrt for the rant  bob w.
i use old made in usa black and decker for power tools along with german/swiss made bosch

btw wilde makes  craftsman prybars.... mayhew makes snap ons
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:52:27 AM by Dustin21 »
i love sk tools/boxes and indestro super/select tools if you have any for sale or want to part with let me know.  also need a  7/8 williams superench

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 10:55:57 AM »
1. Snap on and many others make wonderful tools today for professionals.   Home      users don't need or want to spend big money for tools.

2. Pros open and close tool drawers hundreds of times a day. Ball bearing boxes are good.

3. Time is money to the pro. Tool trucks come to him. He does not have time to go to the tool store once a week for new tools or warranty issues.

4. Snap on and the other tool trucks sell specialty tools that you can't get elsewhere.

5. Tool trucks finance tool purchases. Try that at the auto parts house that sells SK Wayne.

All of those positives listed, I do not like the 'ToolSnob' attitude that makes shames young mechanics to mortgage their souls to the tool truck. Too many times, the shop lays them off and they are stuck with a $7000 toolbox with $20,000 worth of tools in it, a crushing mortgage and no way to to recover. The tools are overpriced because the tool distributor that operates the tool truck owes his soul to Snap on for the half million dollar truck that he is driving.  A high percentage of them go belly up in the first few years.

You are right Bob, four Crescent wrenches are NOT worth $249! That's just the way it is today.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »
three cabinet rollers full of craftsman work tools.  some are from 1952 when i started working for a pontiac dealer

Eeeeeeeeeek
Hold it right there Bob!
  Craftsman from the late50-early60's??? 
                     Oh yum!!
  (where are those pesky smilies I can put a raised beer glass on high or two thumbs way up or anything that shows highest regard??)

The raised panel Craftsman wrenches from that time? I consider to be the single most desirable wrenches ever made.
 Light strong elegant. Everything about them screams class class class!!
 I only have a few, and I guard them at bazooka point! 

The previous craftsman and certainly the latter are nowhere near so good in the details.

But for a while there,............ they were just -IT- !!!

A guy here in town has the whole large set of deep bent DBE's from that time.
 They are basically unused, he never cared about them.
 They are killing me, but no way I am ever telling him!
  He's a schmuck (in more ways than one) and I will trade him out of those wrenches one day.

Oh and Dust
 I happen to know you are good enough to get away with using a bent rusty nail if you want.
  Good tools are wonderful and good clean fun to have.
  I just hope you don't ever think you actually need them (swallow the brochure as they say).
  You don't need nuthin.    I've seen your work.   
  yours Scott

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 04:47:53 PM »
I always learned more when I didn't have the best tool for the job. If you know what you are doing then good tools save time and bandaids. Adjustables are something I only use when I don't have the right tool or am to lazy to go get the right one. I buy almost all my tools at auction where $249.00 will buy a lot of tools some of which are quality. But then I only wrench for myself so whatever gets the job done works fine.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »
I have a grandson that has had several good jobs. Can't seem to hold them long.He got a good job at a big Mack truck dealer. the dealer sent him to school for transmission/ differential. he had his own two slots in the garage. When he quit his job th he had purchased 5,000 bucks worth of tools on time naturally the dealer took back the tools and he still had to pay some. when i started
working for a car dealer I bought a set of tools at  for under 100 bucks,this was in 1952 and i still have most of them and the original tool box. as matter of fact a member here just repaired a 1/2 in drive ratchet for me.  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline Dustin21

• Defiance Ohio
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 07:19:31 PM »
craftsman might be cool for some of you.. but me thrashing my hand/knuckles when the crapsman wrench broke on me has left me with a foul taste in my mouth over the brand.... my hands are what provide my food i owe it to them to make sure they dont get hurt again.. as for spending 5k on the truck then getting laid off thats a noob mistake they dont realize us pro's bought everything as we needed it  and not just to have in case.
i love sk tools/boxes and indestro super/select tools if you have any for sale or want to part with let me know.  also need a  7/8 williams superench