Author Topic: Scrapers? but for what?  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Billman49

• Collector of edged tools, especially billhooks...
    • A Load of Old Billhooks
Re: Scrapers? but for what?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »
Well done - I did think that if they were scrapers they'd be good for de-coking heads & exhaust manifolds etc - I remember having the head of my old side valve (1950's) UK made Ford fairly regularly and using wire brushes on my dad's old B&D drill for the same job..

It goes to show just how similar shaped tools can be for widely varying jobs....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:41:28 AM by Billman49 »

Offline lmpeter@aol.com

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 06:06:56 AM »
Look like older versions of tools I have used on a Wood Lathe, the shaft would rest on the Support and the Tip cut patterns in the wood
Larry

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »
Into the Sixties we often "Decoked" heads and cylinders on small engines. Back in my bike shop days I spent a lot of time scraping on small bike engines. Can you imagine how caked up the exhaust ports got on small two-stroke engines?

I've had the exhaust plug up so bad from carbon on 2 cycle engines the engine wouldn't run .
Rochester products came out with a product called X66 , you ran it through the intake system to dissolve the carbon. Lead deposits were part of the problem , along with poor burning fuel.  When unleaded gas came out , decarbonizing was another lost auto service , along with valve grinds.
Those are a nice set of scrapers , I wouldn't have guessed there use , but I can see how they would be useful.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline turnnut

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 01:20:56 PM »
found another picture like the one in Clymer's book.
a page on ebay from 1914 Cray Brothers, Cleveland, Ohio.  they sold tools from many companies.
ad reads;
Cylinder Carbon Scrapers
intended for removing soot from top of piston without removing the cylinder head, hand forged
from 1/4 inch tool steel.  plain nickle finish with applewood handles.
each set packed in a neat wood box.
price; set of 3 scrapers $0.50
price for 6 sets of 3 scrapers $2.70

NOTE; very hard to read, but looks like "Mound Tool & S. Co. St. Louis  U.S.A.
I just googled Mound Tool & S. Co.  and it comes up with Mound Tool & Scraper Co.
1606-1608 N. Broadway,   St. Louis, Mo.   in business since 1899

today they are;  Mound Tool Co. 9301 Watson Industrial Park, St. Louis, MO
Making meat processing and packing tools,  yup, tools like knifes, hooks, scrapers, etc.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:50:35 PM by turnnut »