Author Topic: Odd Wrench Multi-Tool  (Read 3147 times)

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
Odd Wrench Multi-Tool
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:00:03 AM »
Gang,

I picked up an odd wrench this weekend that has me puzzled.  It had a makers mark on the shank but it is completely worn off.  It also had some stampings on the shank that are also worn off.

Here's a photo with some measurements:

Does anyone recognize this wrench?

What might it's application be?

When might this wrench have been made?

Any help or thoughts appreciated.
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline Branson

Re: Odd Wrench Multi-Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
Looks like a cream separator wrench to me.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »
If so, what is the use of the notches?

Chilly

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:51:13 AM »
Branson,

Cream separator wrench?  That's a new one to me.  Have you got a photo of one?

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:08:57 AM »
Lauver, take a look at the link below for a couple pictures of a similar wrench.

http://www.goantiques.com/delaval-wrench-combination-2005134

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
I like that wrench
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 12:43:39 PM »
Branson & mikeswrenches,

You two seem to be correct; cream separator wrench it is.  I've been all over the interweb and have found other "similar" wrenches and have even found the part of the separator that the pin spanner fits.  So it looks like another mystery solved.

Thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:56:17 AM by lauver »

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 01:28:58 PM »
So - the notches, user mod?

Chilly

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 06:25:33 PM »
Definitely a cream separator wrench.   Had to keep it handy, as every time the separator was used, which was twice per day, the steel nesting cone affair had to be completely disassembled for washing.   The two notches turned the round nut that held the top on the big cone, which was the actual separator.  The two notches had a specific use.   Might try searching: DeLavalle, they were one of the biggest separator companies.  Sorry, can't tell you more, been 53 years since I used one.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 09:47:38 PM »
John k & Chilli,

I didn't find any specific mention of the notches in the wrench shank in my search.  But I did notice that one of the De Laval wrenches had no notch and another De Laval wrench had only one notch.  My wrench, the Economy King, had two notches that were of different widths.  So, it's not entirely clear what the function of the notches were/are, but these differences in the notches could likely be explained by dates and brands of the separators involved.  One thing is clear, at some period of time, there were a lot of competing separators and wrenches out there.  Some were much larger and likely aimed at commercial users, while others were much smaller and aimed at farm/household users.

The only direct knowledge of cream separators I have comes from my experience as a child.  When I was growing up, milk companies delivered orange juice, milk, eggs, and cheese to each subscribing household.  The milk (whole, non-homogenized) came in glass bottles and the cream was always floating at the top of the bottle.  To separate the cream, we just dipped a special spoon/ladle into the bottle, separated the cream layer from the milk, and poured it in a cream server.  It was that simple... but it was a long time ago.  I can still hear the clinking of bottles on the back porch when the milk man made his morning delivery to our house.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 12:31:02 AM »
I have a cream separator, less the motorized base.  I read up on it a few years ago. I had bought the lot for use as stainless steel, to use in hot glasswork.

It seems that almost all rural homes that produced any milk had one, and a lot of home milking and anyone else for that matter. Raw milk is separated and the fat is added back in. That way you could have cream for butter and other use. Also people had to know how sweet their milk was. I think that dairies paid more for fatter milk, but not sure.  They are basically a whole lot of cones on top of each other that the milk flings off the heavier parts and the lighter liquid came out
another spigot.

Mrs Chilly said she will go into the attic and get the separator out tomorrow. Ill take some pics.  I think the top couple of nuts were flat with two holes, hence the spanner.

Chilly ( extremely unknowledgeable and non-rural)  but has a cream separator?