Author Topic: Old Vise-grips?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline randyjaco

Old Vise-grips?
« on: February 09, 2020, 01:56:02 PM »
I picked these up today at a flea market. The maker wasn't very proud of his tools and didn't leave a mark on it. I, on the other hand, couldn't leave it on the table. Can anybody tell me anything about them?

TIA
Randy

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: Old Vise-grips?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 02:03:07 PM »
Very cool but I can't help with any history on them,hopefully somebody on this site can provide some info for you.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 05:32:34 PM »
Great find. Those are GripLock pliers, made in Norfolk, Nebraska about a hundred years ago. I've been wanting a pair myself, but they don't show up very often.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:56:06 AM by Plyerman »
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »
Those things are well made and cool as all get out.  Not many tools came out of Nebraska.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline randyjaco

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 07:12:03 PM »
Yup, that's them. I wonder why mine have no markings on them? The pictures I found on the Internet show some pretty heavy stampings. They are really cool and work like new. Do GripLock pliers have any value? Is there any info on the company?

Thanks again
Randy

Offline amecks

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 08:41:08 PM »
Way cool, never seen them before.  How well do they work compared to modern grips?
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline randyjaco

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 05:53:14 AM »
They work surprisingly smoothly. There's no release lever, but it doesn't take much effort to release them. They are easier to release than the pre-lever Vice grips. Since the patent has long expired, I am surprised that someone is producing a knockoff today.

Randy

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 08:21:17 PM »
There is some interesting info about these tools on Datamp. Link: http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?id=22733

It is curious that the 1-22-24 date marked (on most examples) does not correspond to either of the Tull & Bristol patent dates.

My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 08:40:02 AM »
There is some interesting info about these tools on Datamp. Link: http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?id=22733

It is curious that the 1-22-24 date marked (on most examples) does not correspond to either of the Tull & Bristol patent dates.

As the guy who composed the DATAMP entry, I could go on about the GRIPLOCK -- the salient points were published long ago in the Missouri Valley Wrench Club Newsletter.  In a way I'm a Norfolk, NE product (was born there); dad took up farming in his home neighborhood after WWII & Norfolk was their nearest hospital.  As to value, the GRIPLOCK plier wrenches  always do well in collection dispersal auctions.  As to design, the GRIPSO vise pliers from Basford in San Franciso [1950s]  also used the "turnbuckle" size adjuster & some prefer them because the design enables one-handed operation including size adjustment.