Author Topic: I think this is a power tool even with a hand crank  (Read 2267 times)

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
I think this is a power tool even with a hand crank
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »
When I was a small boy, in the 50's, my grandfather repaired clocks as a hobby. He cleaned and oiled most of them, but if something happened and the case needed replacing, he designed and made new ones. He and Scottg would have gotten along very well. His cases were either mohagony or walnut and always very graceful. His only saw was the one in the photo. Later on, he powered it with an old sewing machine motor. He actually built a replica of an Eli Terry wood geared clock with it. It kept good time. My dad found one for me and I made simple plywood shapes for fun. It disappeared sometime in the sixties. Don't know where it went. I found this one at a yard sale.
Does anyone know if Delta Specialities became Delta Machine Company and, with a 1919 patent date, was this their first woodworking tool?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:32:03 PM by johnsironsanctuary »
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline rusty

Re: I think this is a power tool even with a hand crank
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 05:25:08 PM »
>Does anyone know if Delta Specialities became Delta Machine Company

Sorta, yes, mostly, it's a bit fuzzy in the beginning, but by 1930, they were the same company.

That saw is in the 1925 issue of PM

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
Re: I think this is a power tool even with a hand crank
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
Thanks Rusty, I see what yu mean, it is a little hazy. I found this page at vintagemachinery.org.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=1141
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan